Do I need chemistry for Bachelor of Medicine? (1 Viewer)

Conor

HSC
Hello,
Just a quick question. I am about to start Year 11, and would like to know is it necessary to do chemistry for completing a bachelor of medicine?

I have chosen a relatively difficult workload (3U Maths, 3U English, Physics, Chemistry, 2U Religion), and i think i am cabable of completing the courses, but if i was able to forgo studying chemistry it would be good to have that option if i needed during the first 6 weeks of Year 11.

Thank you,
Conor.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Hello,
Just a quick question. I am about to start Year 11, and would like to know is it necessary to do chemistry for completing a bachelor of medicine?

I have chosen a relatively difficult workload (3U Maths, 3U English, Physics, Chemistry, 2U Religion), and i think i am cabable of completing the courses, but if i was able to forgo studying chemistry it would be good to have that option if i needed during the first 6 weeks of Year 11.

Thank you,
Conor.
I cannot imagine a medical student without a background in chemistry! How is he to handle biochemistry, pharmacology etc or don't they teach these in medical schools anymore? You should not base your decision on whether or not chemistry is a formal requirement for the course.

Last edited:

Zeroes

HSC
It's a recommended study, not assumed/required.
Or so I've heard.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Hello,

Thank you,
Conor.
Why would you want to do med if you don't want to do chem? They interlink. And no, while it is assumed knowledge, you can do bridging courses. If you don't want to do a bridging course, then yes.

Name_Taken

HSC
Keep Chem IMO, everyone else seems to be saying as well.

If you're worried about workload, maybe change physics for bio (just saying, since bio has undeniable similarities with med, tho its not assumed knowledge).

Getting into med though will be more about the marks you can get in the subjects you choose, not the subjects you choose themselves. You can always do a bridging course at uni if you're desperate (though it begs the question, why study something at uni if you weren't interested/able at high school level?).

Good luck with w/e you choose :)

ilikebeeef

HSC
If you're worried about workload, maybe change physics for bio (just saying, since bio has undeniable similarities with med, tho its not assumed knowledge).

Getting into med though will be more about the marks you can get in the subjects you choose, not the subjects you choose themselves.
Physics > Bio in terms of scaling. If you're aiming for med, the workload will be bad no matter what. :p

Conor

HSC
Thanks for all your replies; looks like I'll be sticking with what I've chosen.

Thank you.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Nope. There are no prerequisites from Medicine at UNSW and USYD from memory. Chemistry is recommended but not assumed. I'm taking chemistry anyway. I'm scared of the UMAT :uhoh: because I really suck at things where you have to use your brain to solve puzzles instead of your knowledge.

ValentinesM

HSC
yep, Chem is assumed knowledge not prequisite. i'd say if you would like to pursue a medical career that you give chemistry a shot.

plus, chemistry is a cool subject(coming from a biased perspective of course)!! Prelim chem isn't difficult, it links well with what you've already learnt from junioir school.

Name_Taken

HSC
Physics > Bio in terms of scaling. If you're aiming for med, the workload will be bad no matter what. :p
Well yea, I suppose its important, but you wouldn't do physics just because of scaling, like you have to sort of be interested in it to to a degree...

I just that because bio is way easier, and it is sorta half-relevant to med (not assumed knowledge but its a similar-ish sort of field).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
most places i checked out were compulsory chem, and either bio or physics, plus 2 unit maths or higher
Are you talking about Medicine? If so, I believe you may be mistaken.

Schoey93

HSC
Why would you want to do med if you don't want to do chem? They interlink. And no, while it is assumed knowledge, you can do bridging courses. If you don't want to do a bridging course, then yes.
Chemistry is not assumed knowledge for the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery course. You do not need to do a bridging course if you have not done Chemistry. To successfully complete the medicine programme you need to begin the programme with good English literacy skills, an ATAR of 95.00 or better (93.00 or better for Greater Western Sydney residents applying to study at UWS), a high UMAT score and a successful interview. Everything is taught starting at a basic level, according to my doctor.

Schoey93

HSC
Are you talking about Medicine? If so, I believe you may be mistaken.
For JCU and Monash University, Mathematics and Chemistry are prerequisite subjects. There are no prerequisite subjects for undergraduate medicine in NSW though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
For JCU and Monash University, Mathematics and Chemistry are prerequisite subjects. There are no prerequisite subjects for undergraduate medicine in NSW though.
My bad then.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
No you don't need it. You can do a quick bridging course during your break after HSC

w8t4hope

HSC
no prerequisites in NSW unis for medicine.
only it does help if you have som background knowledge.

Rage_Quitter

HSC
Gah,

Just keep Chemistry, Physics and Maths for your HSC. I'm sure they are recommended subjects to present to the Uni Interviews.

But, if you are just focusing on Med, then by all means add Biology in your Subjects List. From work experiencing in a hospital, it is recommended to have Biology to understand the basics of Med. I mean, isn't Biology the foundation for Med?

RQ

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
Yes i wanna do medicine aswell
and u have to have chemistry no matter what. if you dont have that .

you'll have to do a bridging course
which u'd have to squish 2 years of chemistry in 3 months (HELL)

:p

if 3U english isn't ur speciality or you dont like ti as much u can drop it.

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Chem's usually a prerequisite, it's not compulsory, but you may have to take a bridging course afterwards if you haven't done it at school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)