do i need maths extension 1 for a degree in commerce/comp.science at unsw/usyd? (1 Viewer)

okeee

HSC
N/A
I am a year 12 student looking into universities. I am hoping to go into finance and hence want to undertake a commerce degree, specifically a double degree of commerce/comp.science at usyd or unsw. The assumed knowledge for the double degree is only mathematics, however the computer science degree on its own assumes mathematics extension 1.
Can someone pls explain to me why this is the case, and would i be able to undertake the commerce/comp.science degree with having only completed 2 unit mathematics? Will i be able to handle the maths?

D94

HSC
N/A

sida1049

HSC
It's probably a mistake - ideally a student should know Extension 1 maths (or at least a solid grasp in secondary maths) for a comp sci/IT degree, since they usually have a fair amount of first year (and possibly second year) maths units as requirements.

That said, if you have a solid grasp in 2U and is willing to put in the effort in studying a bit of 3U and first year uni maths, you should be fine. If you're willing to study 3U on your own, the main topics that might come up in uni are:
- polynomials
- combinatorics (e.g. permutations and combinations)
- 3U trigonometric identities
- parametric equations
- induction
- 3U integration techniques
- inverse functions
- possibly 3U probability, if you decide (or are forced) to take first year statistics

These topics are pretty E Z to learn on your own as a 2U student, especially since you have the dreadfully long break after the HSC

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
You can survive on an knowledge of just 2u mathematics for computer science for any of the degrees, however math extension will make things a lot more easier. I cant really think of why they would do that other than for marketing reasons or it was just a mistake. Don't worry you will be able to handle the maths, the algebra is more or less new for everyone regardless of whether you did math ext or 2u math (excluding the 4u kids) and for calculus you start learning from pretty basic concepts such as limits, sets inequalities (which comes a lot before differential calculus). This is the case for unsw and from the four courses I saw (i.e. the single/double degrees for both unis) for unsw the assumed knowledge is math ext for both degrees and for usyd the assumed knowledge is just 2u math. (although I have heard that usyd is the uni of maths).

The course links I saw this on:
UNSW computer science
UNSW Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
USYD Bachelor of Advanced Computing (computer science) and Bachelor of Commerce (or just b. science(computer science)/commerce they're the same thing)
USYD Bachelor of science (computer science)

Last edited:

okeee

HSC
N/A
Thank you everyone for the fast replies. I was thinking of a career in investment banking, hence the commerce degree, however, i thought i might as well combine it with something else. Should i do a straight commerce degree or is there something else i can combine it with?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I agree with ichila101 - You can survive any uni degree with just 2unit, since anything you need will likely be taught to you again.

Personally, I think when it says that the courses "recommend extension 1", it really means a skill level capable of extension 1. You don't really need to know any of the topics in extension 1 per se, since they'll likely just cover it again in the actual course if you need it. However, that being said, they'll likely breeze over material that they assume the student would know: e.g. 3u integration techniques, so it might be worth spending some time during the holidays to cover these topics (it shouldn't take long to cover any essentials).

So the question should really be how solid is your grasp in 2u mathematics? If you have a firm understanding, then you'll probably be fine. I did an adv math degree which (if I recall correctly) had assumed knowledge of ext 2 back when I did it, but I reckon anyone who did 2u but with a solid grasp of the fundamentals would've gotten through the course just fine. That's not to say that having a 3u/4u background didn't help, because it definitely did - just saying that it's possible to get through it without it.

If you were to do a combined degree, it'd probably be beneficial to do it with Econ, or something quantitative (like math).

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
This is the case for unsw and from the four courses I saw (i.e. the single/double degrees for both unis) for unsw the assumed knowledge is math ext for both degrees and for usyd the assumed knowledge is just 2u math. (although I have heard that usyd is the uni of maths).
USYD has introduced prerequisites for technical degrees. B4 in Mathematics or E3 in MX1 or MX2 are required for entry into those degrees from 2019 onwards.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD has introduced prerequisites for technical degrees. B4 in Mathematics or E3 in MX1 or MX2 are required for entry into those degrees from 2019 onwards.
Yeah crap I completely forgot math is gonna be required for USYD for a lot of courses

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you everyone for the fast replies. I was thinking of a career in investment banking, hence the commerce degree, however, i thought i might as well combine it with something else. Should i do a straight commerce degree or is there something else i can combine it with?
If you're planning on getting into investment banking then from what I have read online in quite a few forums (take my words with a grain of salt) is to do bachelor of commerce/law

clementinez

HSC
N/A
imo 3u is beneficial but 2u would provide you with a good enough starting point. You can always learn the relevant 3u topics in your own time.You don't NEED 3u but the topics will come up eventually for CS so you may as well. As for Finance, 2u is more than enough.

concordhs

HSC
If you're planning on getting into investment banking then from what I have read online in quite a few forums (take my words with a grain of salt) is to do bachelor of commerce/law

hey man, what forums are you talking about, interested in a career of investment banking. xx

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
hey man, what forums are you talking about, interested in a career of investment banking. xx
mainly whirlpool and wall street oasis (wso). WSO is pretty helpful in getting to know more about investment banking but the only problem is that it is a lot more focused on the US.
Whirlpool is more focused on australia but there is more or less no way of telling whether a person is an expert in the field.

To start off with the degree topic see here: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/top-undergrad-finance-degree-in-australia (the first few comments are relevant before it derails into an enormous US/UK universities vs Aus universities debate but I can assure you that 75% of the forums are not like this, hopefully)
and here: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2572307
If you hover over the circular icon next to a persons name on wso you will see their qualification (although I am unsure on how this is verified)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)