Do I still have a chance of coming first? (1 Viewer)

wootwoot1234

HSC
Hey guys,

In Modern History, the girl ranked first is ahead of me by 7 marks (this is from the 1st assessment task and the half-yearly (40% total)) do you think it's still possible to catch up and become first?

There is 60% left of exams i.e.:
1. 15%
2. 25%
3. 30% (trial)

If you have any similar stories that resulted in success/failure, please share!

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah sure. I was consistently ranked 3-4 out of 35 throughout Yr 11 and Yr 12. I probably could have done better in the assessments, so given where I "stuffed up" in, the whole cohort appeared to do so as well. So the idea cannot be any more clearer than just nailing each assessment from now on.

But, first isn't always necessary. If you are close to rank 1, and perform as well as rank 1 in the HSC, you will most likely get the same marks.

Levity

HSC
Yeah coming first doesn't really matter that much

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah coming first doesn't really matter that much
Actually, unless you're at a top 20 school, it matters a LOT.

And wootwoot1234, of course you can! I remember being devastated after having dropped 5% in a 15% assessment, it really is a bit hard to see the bigger picture when you're under that sort of stress. But yes, you DEFINITELY can end up coming first given there's still 60% to go, and it's just a 7% gap! Coming first means you get the VERY BEST exam mark from your cohort as your assessment mark, so it's worth every bit of effort you put into it.

Good luck!

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah sure. I was consistently ranked 3-4 out of 35 throughout Yr 11 and Yr 12. I probably could have done better in the assessments, so given where I "stuffed up" in, the whole cohort appeared to do so as well. So the idea cannot be any more clearer than just nailing each assessment from now on.

But, first isn't always necessary. If you are close to rank 1, and perform as well as rank 1 in the HSC, you will most likely get the same marks.
This. Sure first is great, but not coming first isnt going to ruin your ATAR.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
This. Sure first is great, but not coming first isnt going to ruin your ATAR.
I guess it depends on your definition of ruin =). I still assert that people greatly underestimate the advantage of coming first, it could potentially make a rather significant difference.

enoilgam

HSC
I guess it depends on your definition of ruin =). I still assert that people greatly underestimate the advantage of coming first, it could potentially make a rather significant difference.
True, all of this stuff is pretty subjective. Coming first gives you a big advantage undoubtably, but if you're not top dog then its not the end of the world.

D94

HSC
N/A
But I don't believe anyone who has came first in school, will set out to not perform well in the HSC. More than often, those who rank below them get better HSC exam marks, which I guess is unfortunate for those lower ranked people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)