Do i want Windows or OS X? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxcnerdgirl

Aussie Aussie Aussie
HSC
I'm about to buy a new computer before i go to uni. I'm not sure if i want to stay with Windows which i have practically used all my life and know inside out or go with OS X and buy an Imac because the course i want to get into next year involves digital animation etc. Should i buy an PC or a MAC?

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
sxcnerdgirl said:
... go with OS X and buy an Imac because the course i want to get into next year involves digital animation etc ...
cant windows do a good enough job for digital animation? if its me i'd go with the one i'm more used to.
...though i reckon the macs have pretty sexy hardware. stylish.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
sxcnerdgirl said:
I'm about to buy a new computer before i go to uni. I'm not sure if i want to stay with Windows which i have practically used all my life and know inside out or go with OS X and buy an Imac because the course i want to get into next year involves digital animation etc. Should i buy an PC or a MAC?
My mAC OS X is extrememly reliable. having used Mac and Imac for over ten years it is nice to use a computer that has never had a virus and never crashed. I use Windows and Word on my Mac and the service is quick. If you go MAC you would have no regrets and updates of software are readily available and efficient.

Raginsheep

HSC
Find out what software you would be using and go from there.

googol

HSC
Windows, cos it's compatible, everyone uses it, and basically everything you can do with OS X, you can do with Windows, the reverse cannot be said.

OS X is overpriced like the damn iPods, accessories and everything Apple sells

Affinity

HSC
Macs are Sexy, but PCs are a bit more flexible. I would imagine you will need to do some serious and sepcialized number crunching for graphics.

So yeah listen to raginsheep.

Last edited:

tigerian

HSC
N/A
googol said:
Windows, cos it's compatible, everyone uses it, and basically everything you can do with OS X, you can do with Windows, the reverse cannot be said.

OS X is overpriced like the damn iPods, accessories and everything Apple sells
Not quite correct. I use a MAC because anything windows can do my mAc can match well. I have had no problems with Windows items. Never ever having had a virus or losing material in 10 years has got sort to be some sort of incentive.

peoplepie

HSC
N/A
You want OS X.

Despite being a much better OS than windows, virus-free and whatnot. Your peers will judge you on how stylish you look with your new OS, and they WILL throw stones at you if you make the wrong choice.

placebo101

HSC
you can run xp on macs nowadays so it doesnt matter. the only reason i would choose to get xp if u needed specific software only developed for xp. osx is much easier to use and more reliable.

googol

HSC
tigerian said:
Not quite correct. I use a MAC because anything windows can do my mAc can match well. I have had no problems with Windows items. Never ever having had a virus or losing material in 10 years has got sort to be some sort of incentive.
An experienced Windows user can get Windows to be as secure as Mac OS X without the major compromise of compatbility.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Get a mac because they're better
Miles Edgeworth said:
There is no reason to get a windows machine anymore.
Miles Edgeworth said:
No they can't. Write a proper networking stack and get back to me.

Fuck people know NOTHING about low level permissions, buffer overflows or ANYTHING like that.

Get back to me when your device drivers don't have root access to your fucking file systems, implicitly.
Its great that Macs/OS X is a really stable, secure and 'better' system, but theres no point if it doesn't fulfill the user's needs.

"I've just spent $3k on this Mac, and just found out that all the software I will be using at uni for the next three years won't run on a Mac - but thats ok, at least its stable, secure and has better file permissions".

Each OS has their strength and weaknesses, yes theres x86 Macs now and thats great, but someone that preaches for one or the other is nothing short of ignorant. I use Windows/Mac/Fedora - whichever is right for the job at the time.

Raginsheep said:
Find out what software you would be using and go from there.
One of the few pieces of useful advice in this thread.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Just grab an Intel Mac an multi boot it with Windows, OSX and Linux. Can't go wrong.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Dude, you code all the time and you don't realise the freaking awesomeness of OS X, say for stuff like... Core Data?!
Because I use the right tool for the job. When a client is puts a five digit figure on the table for a piece of software and demands it be written in a particular language for a particular platform, thats what I'd do, rather than preach to them about what they should be using.

Not going to have another Intel vs AMD or PC vs Mac discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)