do internal ranks matter a lot? (1 Viewer)

dajuicebox

HSC
Do your internal ranks influence significantly in your atar?
Can you still get a Band 6 if your rank is near the bottom of the cohort for one subject?
Like Band 5 from school's internal score of 85, and then like a HSC Band 6 of 95.
Does that score of a 95 externally go to someone else's rank or not?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your ranks relative to your cohort in each of your subjects are used in determining your Assessment Marks (the mark that reflects your internal performance), which contribute 50% of your HSC marks, the other 50% coming from your Examination Marks (HSC exam marks).

Your chances of achieving an Assessment Mark in the band 6 region if you are ranking low in a subject depends on the quality of your cohort. At a high-ranking school with a more academically capable cohort, your chances would generally be higher, although it would still be a good idea to work on improving your rank as much as possible, so as to maximise your chances of achieving a band 6. At a lower-ranked school with a weaker cohort, a low rank likely limits your chances of achieving a band 6. An Assessment Mark in the band 5 region with a low rank (as you suggested) seems more reasonable. Coupled with favourable HSC exam performance, you can increase your chances of achieving a band 6 in the subject overall.

While your ranks are used to determine your Assessment Marks for your subjects, your Examination Marks depend on your own performance in your HSC exams, and are therefore not affected by factors such as your ranks relative to your cohort or your school rank. With that being said, Examination Marks are also used in determining Assessment Marks. For example, if the highest Examination Mark achieved by anyone in your cohort (including yourself) in a particular subject was 95, the Assessment Mark of the student with the highest internal rank will also be 95.

I hope this helps! 😄

Starlly

HSC
Your ranks relative to your cohort in each of your subjects are used in determining your Assessment Marks (the mark that reflects your internal performance), which contribute 50% of your HSC marks, the other 50% coming from your Examination Marks (HSC exam marks).

Your chances of achieving an Assessment Mark in the band 6 region if you are ranking low in a subject depends on the quality of your cohort. At a high-ranking school with a more academically capable cohort, your chances would generally be higher, although it would still be a good idea to work on improving your rank as much as possible, so as to maximise your chances of achieving a band 6. At a lower-ranked school with a weaker cohort, a low rank likely limits your chances of achieving a band 6. An Assessment Mark in the band 5 region with a low rank (as you suggested) seems more reasonable. Coupled with favourable HSC exam performance, you can increase your chances of achieving a band 6 in the subject overall.

While your ranks are used to determine your Assessment Marks for your subjects, your Examination Marks depend on your own performance in your HSC exams, and are therefore not affected by factors such as your ranks relative to your cohort or your school rank. With that being said, Examination Marks are also used in determining Assessment Marks. For example, if the highest Examination Mark achieved by anyone in your cohort (including yourself) in a particular subject was 95, the Assessment Mark of the student with the highest internal rank will also be 95.

I hope this helps! 😄
Hi, I read somewhere that "the top external mark is given to the internally highest-ranked student" and so forth down the ranks. I.e. if I'm not internally ranked 1st but I get the best external mark, will the person internally ranked 1st get my mark? Doesn't this mean that ranking well internally is really important?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I read somewhere that "the top external mark is given to the internally highest-ranked student" and so forth down the ranks. I.e. if I'm not internally ranked 1st but I get the best external mark, will the person internally ranked 1st get my mark? Doesn't this mean that ranking well internally is really important?
Hi, while the highest Examination Mark (external mark) will be awarded to the student ranked first internally as their Assessment Mark (internal mark), this does not mean that the student ranked first is essentially stealing the top external mark as their internal mark. Instead, it means that the student who achieves the highest external mark will keep that mark and the student ranked first internally will receive that same mark as their internal mark. For example, Student A is ranked first internally. Another student, Student B, achieves 95 in their HSC exam in a particular subject, which ends up being the highest external mark in their cohort. Student B will keep that mark as their external mark and Student A will receive that mark as their internal mark.

You are correct in saying that ranking well internally is important. The higher your rank relative to your cohort in a particular subject, the higher your Assessment Mark is likely to be.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Hi, while the highest Examination Mark (external mark) will be awarded to the student ranked first internally as their Assessment Mark (internal mark), this does not mean that the student ranked first is essentially stealing the top external mark as their internal mark. Instead, it means that the student who achieves the highest external mark will keep that mark and the student ranked first internally will receive that same mark as their internal mark. For example, Student A is ranked first internally. Another student, Student B, achieves 95 in their HSC exam in a particular subject, which ends up being the highest external mark in their cohort. Student B will keep that mark as their external mark and Student A will receive that mark as their internal mark.

You are correct in saying that ranking well internally is important. The higher your rank relative to your cohort in a particular subject, the higher your Assessment Mark is likely to be.
how much does ur assessment mark contribute to ur atar compared to hsc examination marks?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
how much does ur assessment mark contribute to ur atar compared to hsc examination marks?
As was mentioned above, each mark contributes 50% of your overall HSC mark in a particular subject. UAC takes the average of the moderated Assessment Mark and raw HSC exam mark (i.e. neither mark is aligned for the purpose of determining students' ATARs), resulting in a raw HSC mark, which UAC subsequently converts to a scaled HSC mark that goes into the determination of a student's ATAR.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Basically, lets consider 3 scenarios, one of which you are in... and this is what my teacher told us. If you are ranked at the top, lets say ranked top 15 out of a150 cohort, then all you have to worry about is the people at the top. try to keep people similar ranked to you doing good so you are guaranteed to get a decent mark even if you do horribly.

If you are anywhere in the median, you are essentially the middle man. Do not worry about the people higher ranked than you, instead look out for the people at the bottom. If you can drag up the bottom lets say 30 people, everyones marks goes up. They look at your schools average and see how well you guys do as a cohort. If your internal assessments right is a 70%, but for the actual hsc, the average went up to a 80%, then your assessment internals also get scaled up to a 80%. This is because some school tests are harder than others, and this is the only fair way to differentiate this. Some ruse test 60% could be another schools test 90% for example.

If you are at the bottom, then you are currently getting dragged up by everyone else, but in turn you are hurting the people around the average marks in terms of atar. If all of you at the bottom do well, then you drag up everyones marks. If you belong in this group then be sure to ask for help, from anyone in that matter.

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
just do subjects which you are the only person doing. that way your externals are 100% and you dont have to try in internal assements :)

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Do your internal ranks influence significantly in your atar?
Can you still get a Band 6 if your rank is near the bottom of the cohort for one subject?
Like Band 5 from school's internal score of 85, and then like a HSC Band 6 of 95.
Does that score of a 95 externally go to someone else's rank or not?
yes you can most likely, but you would have to improve significantly. just try as hard as you can and even if you dont get band 6 overall, at least you did better than what you would have done.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
yes you can most likely, but you would have to improve significantly. just try as hard as you can and even if you dont get band 6 overall, at least you did better than what you would have done.
getting 95 for externals is going to be difficult if your internals is like a 85, but it can be done. Some people pop off in the hsc and it drags up their atar, while my friends in the year above were looking for a 99.5 atar pre-hsc and managed to fuck it up so bad they barely got a 99. Internals can either benefit you massively or screw you up completely, so please be cautious if you think you think you can pull everything up just with the hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)