Do markers discriminate against people who choose a prescribed text as their related? (1 Viewer)

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
From the BoS/NESA website:

Can a text from the HSC Prescribed Texts list be used as a related text?
Students will not be disadvantaged by using a text from the Prescribed Texts list, provided it is relevant to the module/elective concerned.
So it seems that this is allowed, but in practice, do students actually become disadvantaged or not? Do markers still hold those essays to a higher standard even though they aren't supposed to?

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Do markers discriminate against people who choose a prescribed text as their rela

If it's relevant you should be fine. In general the best rule is well known author little known text.

jjuunnee

HSC
Re: Do markers discriminate against people who choose a prescribed text as their rela

It just means that it's harder to come up with original ideas in your analysis, making your essay stand out less

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad

It just means that it's harder to come up with original ideas in your analysis, making your essay stand out less
To be honest I'm not aiming for a high English mark. A band 5 (80-85) is fine for me as long as I perform well in all my other subjects.

As long as I'm not actively being discriminated against, I don't mind reusing a prescribed text if I can't find any interesting ones.

jjuunnee

HSC

To be honest I'm not aiming for a high English mark. A band 5 (80-85) is fine for me as long as I perform well in all my other subjects.

As long as I'm not actively being discriminated against, I don't mind reusing a prescribed text if I can't find any interesting ones.
yeah you should be fine with using a prescribed text then

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A

If you want to do well, I’ll advise against this. Advanced English students are expected to be motivated to read beyond what’s given. By using a prescribed text, it shows your lack of research and laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad

If you want to do well, I’ll advise against this. Advanced English students are expected to be motivated to read beyond what’s given. By using a prescribed text, it shows your lack of research and laziness.

So, are you saying that markers discriminate against essays that use prescribed texts as their related text?

I intend to try to find a text I'm interested in, but if I can't find a book that I enjoy which also has a decent amount of resources available then I'm better off using a prescribed text.

Last edited:

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A

So, are you saying that markers discriminate against essays that use prescribed texts as their related text?
Generally yes. As it shows lack of research and a lazy student. There are so many books, articles , materials out there; why can’t you look beyond?

OkDen

HSC
Uni Grad

Generally yes. As it shows lack of research and a lazy student. There are so many books, articles , materials out there; why can’t you look beyond?

Because either they're too boring or too shallow or not related at all...

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad

Because I can't engage with most of those texts, at least those which are suitable. It's already difficult for me to keep interest in English itself. If I can't find any related texts that I enjoy, then what's the point in trying to study it instead of a prescribed text with more resources available?

laloola

HSC
N/A

not the best idea, you wanna show the marker that you've studied for a different text and actually read it and analysed it.
btw, i was told not use a prescribed text as related.

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad

not the best idea, you wanna show the marker that you've studied for a different text and actually read it and analysed it.
btw, i was told not use a prescribed text as related.
To be clear, I was asking if markers actively discriminate against essays using prescribed texts as related (even if they're not supposed to).

Last edited:

jjuunnee

HSC

To be clear, I was asking if markers actively discriminate against essays using prescribed texts as related (even if they're not supposed to).
unless if you can do a really interesting or unique analysis of the prescribed text, the markers will probably discriminate even if they say won't

i1337

HSC
N/A

I did it and got a high band 5

That was me coming unprepared and stuff

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

I don't recommend it because you'll be competing against people who do it as their prescribed text and study it for an entire term with their teacher's help while you will just be analysing it yourself

i1337

HSC
N/A

there's no reason not to

they dont discriminate at all, if you answer the question properly

I've done it before and can personally confirm it works. This is despite others saying that it's a bad idea, including teachers and BOS users here who are now obviously experts...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)