Do Med students do practicals on corpses? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
rats smell lik worse..
OH WARNING DO NO CUT a human large bowel.. unless its been cleared.. OMG in a dead guy,, Its soo awfully potent..
eww.... it's full of faeces isn't it? lol

yes yes a rat smell like crap...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
hehe hipsta_jess, if you vomit during a rat dissection, what chance do you have in human dissection. :D
absolutely none...but at least I kept my stomach down during our cockroach dissection...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
absolutely none...but at least I kept my stomach down during our cockroach dissection...
lol!
what can you see in a cockroach?? it's so small.. hmmm malpighian tubules??

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think I slaughtered my cockroach. Pretty much all I could see was the haemocoel and not a whole lot else, lol..other people did good though.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
whoa.. i kno nothin about bugs.. or rats for that matter//

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
LOL one of the vets i went to had to do surgery on a dog who's been spewing up his faecel waste. They didnt know what was wrong so they decided to go in, have a look and do what they could. They went to the large intestine of the dog and saw that it was really inflammed and saw a "ball" in the gut. The bouncy ball that had lodged in the intestine was blocking all the dogs plumbing. The vet made a slit and popped a ball out. In addition to this, he has to like "squeeze" some of the waste out so release some of the pressure and wastes. It was probably not a good idea for me to stand there and as well as be hauled by a wave of putridity

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
that thing kimmeh mentions happens in humans too.. large bowel obstruction.. its real nasty..

69^boi

HSC
N/A
sometimes in praticals, are med students entitled to a whole body each?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
joujou_84 said:
eeeekkkkk...........why r u so interested in dead bodies.......??
necrophiliac man hahaha

i don't think any uni's would have the facilities to store so many bodies. Don't they just make them use the same ones over and over? and leave the parts in formaldehyde?

69^boi

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
They don't. They merely pay for your cremation fees. The funeral is a formal event in which people gather to remember the deceased.

I could post cadaveric pictures from my textbook here...but I think Robert (Lexicographer) would go the way of political correctness and pull it off straight away. If you really wanna see then I can send to you via e-mail. But yeah first time I put the scalpel to the flesh, I seriously felt like vomiting and crying at the same time. Now nobody gives and we can crack jokes whilst dissecting and still go out after a session to enjoy a nice hearty lunch.
cremation fees? that doesnt like much $ does that cover the full funeral?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Bob.J said:
necrophiliac man hahaha

i don't think any uni's would have the facilities to store so many bodies. Don't they just make them use the same ones over and over? and leave the parts in formaldehyde?
Yeah it's true they don't have so many bodies, what they do is the "new" bodies are used by senoir med students like 5 and 6th year, then the bodies work their way down to first year med student, which will be dissected into legs, body, head, usually without skin. pretty white and no blood visible. lol

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
69^boi said:
nope, wot about you kimmeh?
sorry son, i'd rather much practice on people i hate :)
Survivor39 said:
Yeah it's true they don't have so many bodies, what they do is the "new" bodies are used by senoir med students like 5 and 6th year, then the bodies work their way down to first year med student, which will be dissected into legs, body, head, usually without skin. pretty white and no blood visible. lol
good way to desensitize the students isnt it? lol

I heard that on the first day of med school (in terms of pracs) some uni asks their students to dissect a pigs foetus to desensitize them to the blood/guts

69^boi

HSC
N/A
so if people donate their bodies, they be in like 6 or 7 diff. places

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
kimmeh said:
good way to desensitize the students isnt it? lol

I heard that on the first day of med school (in terms of pracs) some uni asks their students to dissect a pigs foetus to desensitize them to the blood/guts
yes yes, they get less scary bodies in parts :p
and wouldn't be rats a little bit more common for "desensitize dissection" since lab rats are cheaper?? lol

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Lexicographer said:
(and remember the story of the student who found his own grandma on the slab)
I feel sick. Seriously.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
never heard of that one? this smells of urban myth

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
I had a problem dissecting a rat last year, but only because it had been gassed to death. If it had died of natural causes there wouldn't have been a problem.
During the whole prac there was this idiot going on about how he disects animals all the time, and this is how you best remove the skin, crack the bones etc.. stupid future serial killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)