Do Part-time jobs and TAFE/uni mix? (1 Viewer)

Callistogenic

HSC
Do they?

I was surprised at the amount I was getting paid in youth allowance, because my father got the payments diverted into his account and I never saw any of it. Anyway, $205.00 a fortnight wouldn't be enough to pay for many college boards, and even with 'living away from home' allowance tacked onto it, I don't know whether I'd be able to live at uni in 2006. Next year's fine as I'll be doing TAFE in Hornsby, providing I get in.

So I guess my only other option would be to look for part-time work while in uni. Death trap or not? Or, will my centrelink payments solve it? :confused:

skiguy_hsv

HSC
Is everyone entitled to youth allowance...?

I've been working part time since the start of yr11 and I'm finding it fine. It's not a death trap, just make sure u get a good balance and keep some free time too...

Callistogenic

HSC
skiguy_hsv said:
Is everyone entitled to youth allowance...?

I've been working part time since the start of yr11 and I'm finding it fine. It's not a death trap, just make sure u get a good balance and keep some free time too...
It depends on how much your parents earn, and other factors.

And that's what I'm trying to find out. I've never been involved within uni yet, so I'm asking for prior experiences. :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ummm, of course you should be able to handle part-time/casual work and tafe/uni... That is, if you think that you will be able to handle it. I do not know what you are capable of achieving.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
average is about 16 hours per week of classes. of course your timetable may work out that you have many 1hr breaks so you're there most of the time, it might work out as 2 days. also travelling time.

they recommend for a full load that all up (including oncampus classes) you do 40hrs per week of uni work.

so that's a full time job, mon-fri, 9-5 with 2days free to do nothing
in short, i think it's fine to work during uni or tafe, most people do it

theone123

blue essence
HSC
UNI + TAFE pretty much dont mix, its stressful aswell.

UNI + JOB is a common combination.

Callistogenic

HSC
But would an employer take this into account when looking for work? Wouldn't they rather someone who could work full-time, instead of part-time?

And wouldn't the uni hours turn many employers off employing?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
dreamcaster said:
But would an employer take this into account when looking for work? Wouldn't they rather someone who could work full-time, instead of part-time?

most employers look for casual ppl, that in itself would make them employ staff on their own wish ie. if they are need in of staff. rather than paying fixed wages for a week and so on.

usually part time uni students, are there becuz they have secured a favourable full time job due to their practical experience they already have.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
working part time while at uni is quite the norm... and its easily managed if done propery.

x-y-z

HSC
Employers usually hire casual workers to fill the weekend/ thursday night slot, as full-timers are usually the Mon to Fri 9/5 workers.

As a full time uni student you will probably have four days at uni and 3 days available for work.

I get an average of 23 hours a week (all day thursday, saturday and sunday). It's not the ideal situation, but everybody does it (unless they have a rich daddy to live off).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I was working 36 hours a week plus doing full time uni. It's fairly easy to balance part time work and uni, you just have to manage your time, it's not that hard.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
dreamcaster said:

the upside of that though is uni students are younger so they pay less. plus all the things the others have said.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
iambored said:
the upside of that though is uni students are younger so they pay less. plus all the things the others have said.
16-20/hr is low pay :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)