"Do past papers" (1 Viewer)

The Professor

HSC
Hello, me again haha

Okay, i've just been so confused lately with everything.
When are we supposed to be doing HSC past papers?
I mean do I start them during the 6-week holidays?

we have half yearlies and trials soon too - how could we possibly juggle doing all these past papers in such a short period of time?

WHEN'S THE BEST TIME TO START DOING PAST HSC PAPERS?
OH MY GLOB
TERM ONE IS NEARLY OVER AND I AM SO CONFUSED ABOUT EVERYTHING

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Dude it's never too early to start. Besides, you'll be at an advantage.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
6 weeks of holidays is plenty of time to do past papers-you don't have to do them in full if you don't want to, you can do them section by section, you should start doing past HSC papers as soon as possible, although it won't matter significantly if you use past school trial papers as practice instead... they are almost similar effect-but the most important thing is you do those papers under EXAM CONDITIONS and get someone knowledgable to mark your answers for you and give you some comments on how you can improve.

Just break down what you need to do and you will be less confused and less panicked, a check list for example of half yearly preparation in the holidays would as as following

practice using past trial papers, perhaps do 3 each week of the holidays, or 1 for each subject, don't do nothing, and make sure you set a timer, write response in a legible fashion without notes, get someone mark after every attempt, take on advice, repeat-this also goes for essay, short answers as well

the most important thing is to plan your holidays so that you are covering all your subjects-create a day by day schedule if you don't like the hour by hour format, or even week by week-the most important thing is don't panic, everyone is on the same boat, just focus, study hard, and you will achieve your goals-ask your teacher if you feel confused or need further advice. Best wishes for this year:)

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hello, me again haha

we have half yearlies and trials soon too - how could we possibly juggle doing all these past papers in such a short period of time?

OH MY GLOB
There's no "set" time to start but I know what you mean!!! There's so much stuff to do and I also have barely any idea what to do or where to start. But I think what a really good idea is for past papers and HSC questions, start gathering questions on each topic you finish and start doing them. So what I would (attempt) to do is:
- make notes on each subject that require any notes throughout the unit/topic (still trying to get around to doing it, but I WILL PERSEVERE!)
- revise as I go, until the topic is finished
- scour the internet for past papers
- compile questions that I know how to do because I have made my notes/finished the topic
- mark against marking criteria (and be v. harsh) or give to a teacher to mark
- analyse and evaluate feedback
- repeat past papers cycle again until exam technique is near perfect

By that time, HSC should probably have rolled around or something and you go into it decently prepared and ready to unchain yourself from the shackles of high school (ideally)

Best of luck!! :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, me again haha

OH MY GLOB
Given this stage, you are better off going through your school's past papers and other school's you can your hands on.
Also some HSC past paper books have things organised in topics or have an index of topics, so select the ones going to be tested. No point doing HSC papers now, as most of the content is not familar with you.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
If you do them in the holidays, then you can't give them to anyone to mark. And who will mark your 10 past papers or however much you do?
Should we just assume we're answering the questions correctly?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
If you do them in the holidays, then you can't give them to anyone to mark. And who will mark your 10 past papers or however much you do?
There's marking criteria you can look up and mark against. Or find someone (i.e. a tutor or an experienced person in the subject) to mark it.

enoilgam

HSC
There is no real set time when you should be starting, there isnt really a set approach towards the HSC. You should probably consider the following before starting past papers:

- How well you know the content. There is no point in starting past papers if you dont have a sufficient understanding of the content or the basics.
- The subject itself. With some subjects, attempting a past paper from early on is more feasible than for others.
- Your ability to mark the papers. Some subjects are easy to mark on your own (i.e. maths and to a lesser extent science), whereas for subjects like English and the humanities, you really need to get them marked by someone else. The overall effectiveness and usefulness of doing past papers is based on your ability to get them marked - if you arent getting feedback on your work then it is largely a waste of time.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My teacher's ahppily marked mine, but then again no other students would do the work in the first place any way.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
That's probably the worst thing you can do. If you just assume you're answering everything correctly, it defeating the purpose of doing past papers, which is to improve your exam technique. If you just assume you answered everything correctly, you won't see anything you need to improve on.
And you would be surprised at how much extra work your teachers are willing to mark for you. I'm pretty sure I drove my chem teacher insane with all the homework/past papers I was getting him to mark because he had to put in so much extra time marking it, but he was so driven to see his students succeed that he got through it all with a lot of feedback. If you put in the effort to do past papers, I'm sure the teachers will put in the effort to mark them.

Confound

HSC
you should just get all your notes done by the end of term 1, then past papers for the rest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)