Do phys1901 but attend phys1001 lectures? (1 Viewer)

SeDaTeD

HSC
The Phys1901 lectures (2pm on mon wed and thu) clash with Math2969 lectures (2pm on mon tue wed, 1pm thu). I really do want to take a second year unit and do adv physics. Now what I'm wondering is, since there is only one adv physics stream, would it still be possible to attend phys1001 lectures, phys1901 tutes and lab sessions and still keep up with adv material. I am aware that normal level doesn't include the chaos topic, but I am more than willing to read up on it.
I need a good idea of what I'd miss out if I sit in the normal lectures. I can ask a friend to take down announcements made in adv lectures. Is all the adv stuff covered in the textbook?
Thanks for any advice.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
So far as I know the phys1901 lectures are pretty useless anyway, just read the relevant parts of the textbook and you should be fine.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Hmmm, so how much material do they put online for adv physics, ie. lecture material.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Ok cool. Would I need to attend normal lectures then? If I don't then that'd nicely cut down on my 26 hours. Oh wait, how about no lectures haha. 12 hours? whoa.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
If you wanna go further in physics later on (beyond 1st year), I recommend you to attend the PHYS1901 lectures. Not sure about that "useless" comment, but from my experience 1st year physics lectures are quite fun. There were lots of demonstrations and practical jokes. The normal lecture is probably less entertaining and goes at a slower pace.

MATH2969 is probably the most interesting and accessible TSP unit for 1st year students. The other units are quite technical and require an awful lot of prior knowledge. You may also consider the 3rd year 4cp units. Some of them are easier than the 2nd year courses. It will be the last year these 4cp courses are on offer and some of them may diappear from next year. So you would need to sort out the 4cp to 6cp transition and its consequences with the maths TSP coordinator.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Yeah, I didn't really want to get a 4cp unit because I may end up with a lopsided number of units and have to make up with 2cp units somehow. Taking the new 6cp units will make it easier because I wouldn't have to worry about prohibitions much.
I know Logic, coding theory and number theory are popular choices. The second yr units I'm intending to take are math2969 discrete +graph theory and math2068 number theory + cryptography. As far as I know, they both seem to be taking the 2pm slots, which clash with adv phys.
I'm not sure if I will go onto later year physics, I'm currently planning to have stuff along the lines of maths and stats.
Arrrgh, what should I jump in for first week of lectures, the adv phys or disc maths? Before I consult the tsp coordinator.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
I reckon you can drop by the TSP coordinator's office either tomorrow or on Monday. He's a nice guy and am more than happy to answer your questions.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Ahh, I talked to Dr Daners at the tsp meeting, he's also my mentor. He talked about whether he thinks it's better to take it as a tsp unit or to actually enrol in it. I said that I thought I could probably handle doing adv phys but attend normal lectures.

Ahh what the hell, it's only first yr. Just do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)