Do religious people find heavy metal evil? (1 Viewer)

bb24492

HSC
Do religious people find heavy :headbang:metal music:music::guitar: evil?

Im a student doing a study for my PIP (personal intrest project) and i am researching how relgion veiws heavy metal in todays society. Im looking for people with religious backgrounds. any one can answer though. i need both sides of the argument. Comments of any sort are welcome, as long as it is related :).

steeez

HSC
I'm not exactly religious, but I have an interest in metal and from what i've gathered in various books/movies/docos is that the conception that it's 'evil' has gradually lessened as society has progressed. This has to do with a variety of factors, namely metal not being flavour of the week anymore. Its alot more accepted these days. Imagine if all the Death/Doom Metal bands and even hardcore/metalcore bands (and i can tell you - from the late 80s until now there has been literally thousands upon thousands formed) were around when the Beatles first came around. When 'Helter Skelter' came out it was considered 'heavy metal' same can be said for Led Zep, Black Sabbath etc..

Personally I think religion has eased off alot in the past few decades as well. Sure, theres crazy right-wingers who take it to extremes but I think its become alot more accepted now. Even since mid 2000s bands like Bullet for my Valentine who use 'evil' sounding growls and shit are making it onto the charts, and I don't see mothers christian groups rallying against them. If you want a small but decent insight watch the documentary Metal: A Headbangers Journey. Pretty sure that its on Google video. and i'm sure if you go to the Conservatorium library you'll find a range of information there. Haha and watch Detroit Rock City and look out for Jams mum ;)

hope i helped a bit

funkinawesome

HSC
look, it doesn't really matter what the religious viewpoint of a person is. i'm a christian and well, it doesn't bother me at all. i think though that the youth of the church don't really mind at all, because it is just a style of music and everyone has their own opinions on it whether its good or not. however, the older religious community could possibly find some aspects of heavy metal to be as you put it "evil".

so in my opinion, religious people don't really find heavy metal to be evil.

Good luck with the project. hope this helped a bit.

NB: there are christian gigs (Easterfest - held in toowoomba each year) that do feature alot of metal bands, so as i said before - religious people don't really see it as evil (although the odd few might), its their own taste

Last edited:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I'm a catholic and don't find heavy metal annoying. It just doesn't fit into my kind of music.

AFilthyIbis

HSC
Yeah. I don't think this is a good place to look. BOS, being a community on the internet won't have people in the "anti metal" demographic. Problem better asking people at a church.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)