Do Standard and Advanced English scale the same? (3 Viewers)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
There are two English paper's you have to do during your HSC exam regardless of whether you are in Standard or Advanced.

Area of Study is common with both Standard and Advanced which accounts for 40% of the HSC. This will be paper 1 of your English HSC. The rest which accounts for 60% of your HSC are your modules which will be in your paper 2.

Well, I got an D on my report; my half yearly report. And we had an Speech assessment Task and an Poetry one, I got 8/20 for the speech and 7/15 for the poetry, so I think that just says it all.
That's not an indication of how well you will go in your HSC. You have two years. If you are willing, than Advanced is for you. I don't believe your marks are as a result of your English skills. I believe they are as a result of effort. Give it a go. You can always drop down. 40% of the HSC is common the Advanced and Standard. Have a think about it.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But I already picked Standard, and you are not allowed to go from Standard to Advanced:(
During the first few weeks most school's let you go up PROVIDED that you either get a good mark in your first assessment or show a good work ethic to them. There is no reason you cannot get a great mark if you start putting effort.

Gigacube

HSC

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But I already picked Standard, and you are not allowed to go from Standard to Advanced:(
There is no reason why you cannot do well in Standard too. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you of my Law of the Universe.

Spiral's Law of the Universe: "Every object and person will get what they deserve in the end."

HSC
But, to be honest, I would rather do Standard; better chance of getting good ranks there because lots of people I know are VERY good at English and are doing Advanced.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But, to be honest, I would rather do Standard; better chance of getting good ranks there because lots of people I know are VERY good at English and are doing Advanced.
Is that the reason? It does not matter how good they are. Work hard and you will eventually eliminate your fellow humans, I mean opponents. Try Advanced at least. I think you are more than capable. In Year 11,

- You have your teacher.

- You have your human associates, I mean friends.

What more could a human want?

Point is, please. I almost picked Standard English as well. Then someone came and said, "STOP! Listen!" *Rips apart subject selection form* *Spiral cries* *He gets another one and ticks Advanced box*. 2011, Spiral is still happy. Never regretted a single moment of Advanced.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
Is that the reason? It does not matter how good they are. Work hard and you will eventually eliminate your fellow humans, I mean opponents. Try Advanced at least. I think you are more than capable. In Year 11,

- You have your teacher.

- You have your human associates, I mean friends.

What more could a human want?
Plus your school rank is quite good & the standard of your school could be quite high.

enoilgam

HSC
I tell nearly everyone doing their subject selections for year 11 NEVER DO STANDARD!!!. First, standard english aligns poorly, with only 0.2% of the state getting a band 6 in it (last year 64 people out of approximately 27,000 students who took standard got over 90).

Many people do standard english because they think it is far easier than advanced. Additionally, many people assume that the difference in difficulty between standard and advanced english is like the difference between general maths and two unit maths. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. The only difference in difficulty is the texts you study. The actual essay questions you get asked in your trials and on the HSC exam are roughly of equal difficulty. Furthmore, Paper One of the HSC, which is worth about 40% of the final exam, is common to both Advanced and standard.

So really, doing standard puts you at a disadvantage for no reason.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I go to Macarthur Girls High School. It's quite good.
Way better than my school. You can spell too. When I was in Year 10 I was watching The Big Bang Theory each night whilst eating a happy meal and here you are researching and asking member's for their advice. What a champion!

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
I tell nearly everyone doing their subject selections for year 11 NEVER DO STANDARD!!!. First, standard english aligns poorly, with only 0.2% of the state getting a band 6 in it (last year 64 people out of approximately 50,000 students who took standard got over 90).

Many people do standard english because that it is far easier than advanced. Additionally, many people assume that the difference in difficulty between standard and advanced english is like the difference between general maths and two unit maths. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. The only difference in difficulty is the texts you study. The actual essay questions you get asked in your trials and on the HSC exam are roughly of equal difficulty. Furthmore, Paper One of the HSC, which is worth about 40% of the final exam, is common to both Advanced and standard.

So really, doing standard puts you at a disadvantage for no reason.
50000 people in the state dont do standard. its like 32000 advanced and 27000 standard.

enoilgam

HSC
How does it align poorly? Do many people not do well in Standard?
The raw marks do not get aligned very high. For example, if your raw mark on the HSC standard english paper is 80/105 it might only align to 80/100 for your HSC exam mark. However, if you recieved 80/105 for advanced, it might align to 90/100 for your HSC exam mark. Thats roughly how it works

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You see the thing is strawberry, you may get better marks and ranks in Standard, but come HSC time it won't help you...getting lower marks/ranks in advanced is normally better because you are normally in with a higher calibre of english student and it aligns better and aslo you are influenced by the other good english students.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You see the thing is strawberry, you may get better marks and ranks in Standard, but come HSC time it won't help you...getting lower marks/ranks in advanced is normally better because you are normally in with a higher calibre of english student and it aligns better and aslo you are influenced by the other good english students.
Good advice from an English person whilst I am stuck in the mathematical spectrum.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Strawberries122
I hate English too , bt i did Advanced simply because you get aligned better. Im not the best english student ever bt the teachers push you to improve the style of your writing and that'll will help you out a lot in university, if you plan to go.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Spi, imagine I think if we united, we could get 99.95. You take the Maths 4U and Physics (6 units), I'll bring English, Economics and Chem to the table (6 u).

Nevertheless, I think you're going to get 99+ even with your English compulsorily counting. You are going to murder maths and I would not be surprised seeing a maths state rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)