• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

do u need to make ur own notes to get a band 6? (1 Viewer)

QZP

HSC
Notes are really just the physical form of knowledge. People emphasise the process of writing notes to consolidate your understanding and really sharpen it as opposed to using other people's notes. Use other people's notes as assistance (cross-reference, checking, etc.) not a main learning method.

Last edited:

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
It really depends on the subject in my opinion, through writing notes you are laying out previously studied information when you understand it in a way which you can more easily understand it (also known as "writing in your own words") for later reference. I know a lot of people that just write notes straight from the textbook without gaining an understanding of the concepts behind the information, and subsequently notes don't do them any good. However, having the information laid out in your own words once you understand the concepts makes studying much easier

Notes are not for everyone though, The dux of my school (98) last year didn't make notes for anything.

I myself see notes for subjects such as Business Studies as absolutely essential due to the huge amount of content you need to get through, however with subjects like IPT i prefer to do regular revision of class made notes and papers over traditional syllabus notes, however syllabus notes do help

If you want to use others notes, go through the textbook and understand the concepts first, followed by using their notes as a study aid is my suggestion

Last edited:

Simile

HSC
N/A
I personally think any notes would be fine, as long as you understand the concepts thoroughly

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone can make notes, some can understand, very few can apply.

If you're just re-reading your notes, then gg hsc
R0t3d the notes (didn't do that many past papers) for my social sciences, did alright...

@OP:

Nope. You can use others' notes and still get a band 6 but I think making your own (assuming it's not too late) is more beneficial in the long run.

mreditor16

HSC
can someone explain whether or not it is necessary to make your own personal syllabus notes or whether reading and understand someone else's are enough to get a band 6.

http://sceggsnet.sceggs.nsw.edu.au/...ntent/0/The Students Guide to HSC Physics.pdf <--i am currently understanding these.
it really depends per subject. in economics, i didn't make notes per se. i simply wrote in good stuff from other textbooks and news articles in the margin of my economics textbook. and then highlighted the good stuff in my textbook. and then used the textbook as my 'notes'.

saved so much time, in terms of not having to write/type out 'notes'.

it ended up working well.

but again it really depends on the student and subject.

HSC
Nah. Just because you make notes yourself does not mean you'll get a band 6. Why bother making your own notes? BOS has numerous sets of notes from different people. Use a few of them, merge them together to create a set of notes that you think covers every dot point.

bangladesh

HSC
no. I didn't and i still got all band 6's apart from eng

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)