• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do UNSW or USYD require a MacBook? (1 Viewer)

mgberman2000

HSC
N/A
For architecture in particular...

I've been needing to buy a new laptop for a long time, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether University of Sydney or UNSW require you to use Mac or PC for Architecture?

Thanks

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
no one actually needs a laptop at uni.

windows/mac/linux based computers can all access the internet through the wireless service called uniwide, so it really doesn't matter what you have

for any lab work, most people just use the uni computers

mgberman2000

HSC
N/A
ianc said:
no one actually needs a laptop at uni.

windows/mac/linux based computers can all access the internet through the wireless service called uniwide, so it really doesn't matter what you have

for any lab work, most people just use the uni computers

Thanks for the info, are you 100% sure about this (for architecture in particular)?

And do you know if it applies to University of Sydney as well?

SH33P

k lol...
HSC
mgberman2000 said:

I've been needing to buy a new laptop for a long time, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether University of Sydney or UNSW require you to use Mac or PC for Architecture?

Thanks
hey im doing arch at UNSW too

i got a hp laptop (mac SUX!)

all the programs im pretty sure run on pc (in specific)

programs like sketch up are used which is a freebie off the net but u can buy more full on programs (but i dont know their names sorry) ...

i might c u there next year! lol! why do u want to do arch? cause ive only been to the UNSW open day so was uSyd any good? like which one do u prefer and why?

Last edited:

SH33P

k lol...
HSC
i know of ppl who dont use laptops and do the arch course though

i think at the end of the day pick what u want... and if u do go mac, just get duel operating systems and then u will cover ur ass either way

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
mgberman2000 said:

Thanks
Friend doing it, you need x86 capabilities, they don't use OSX programs.

dolbinau

HSC
Any intel Mac uses x86 architecture (as well as the ability to run Windows natively) but I suppose I get your point.

mgberman2000

HSC
N/A
SH33P said:
hey im doing arch at UNSW too

i got a hp laptop (mac SUX!)

all the programs im pretty sure run on pc (in specific)

programs like sketch up are used which is a freebie off the net but u can buy more full on programs (but i dont know their names sorry) ...

i might c u there next year! lol! why do u want to do arch? cause ive only been to the UNSW open day so was uSyd any good? like which one do u prefer and why?
Okay thanks. And yeah I agree that macs are a massive waste of money :)

uSyd was good, it looks like a more interesting course but it's in the most disgusting building you could possibly imagine... picture a 1960s public school...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
Any intel Mac uses x86 architecture (as well as the ability to run Windows natively) but I suppose I get your point.
That's why I said capabilities, rather than OS dipshit.

SH33P

k lol...
HSC
mgberman2000 said:
Okay thanks. And yeah I agree that macs are a massive waste of money :)

uSyd was good, it looks like a more interesting course but it's in the most disgusting building you could possibly imagine... picture a 1960s public school...
errr u serious!

hmm i really like the course at UNSW over uSyd, ive heard that its more theory based there but i dont know

i like the idea of using architecture in video games... i met the lecturer who is interestered in all that stuff and i was agreeing with everything he said hahaha!

i heard that UTS has just done up their built environment section and theres all this new equipment in there (latest stuff) ... but i dunno im pretty attached to UNSW now... the environment offered by the uni makes a big deal to me

mgberman2000

HSC
N/A
SH33P said:
errr u serious!

hmm i really like the course at UNSW over uSyd, ive heard that its more theory based there but i dont know

i like the idea of using architecture in video games... i met the lecturer who is interestered in all that stuff and i was agreeing with everything he said hahaha!

i heard that UTS has just done up their built environment section and theres all this new equipment in there (latest stuff) ... but i dunno im pretty attached to UNSW now... the environment offered by the uni makes a big deal to me

Yeah to be honest the uSyd course looked more practical to me, but yeah I've always loved UNSW because it looks damn cool...

Different courses are better for different people I guess

dolbinau

HSC
AsyLum said:
That's why I said capabilities, rather than OS dipshit.
What? X86 is an architecture which any Mac now uses so either way it [your post] doesn't make sense.

04er

HSC
Re: 回复: Do UNSW or USYD require a MacBook?

Forbidden. said:
I have not received a notice by UNSW requesting that the possession of a MacBook is required to graduate.
you forgot to use 'm3n' in your post

mgberman2000

HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Do UNSW or USYD require a MacBook?

Forbidden. said:
I have not received a notice by UNSW requesting that the possession of a MacBook is required to graduate.
Sigh...

Architecture is a course that requires a certain amount of computerised design. Presumably this design would be done by computer programs, which may not operate on every operating system in the world.

It is possible that these programs only run on OS X, or maybe only on Windows. Or (unlikely) only on Linux.

If you don't do architecture or have any friends doing it, then you're of no help to me. Anyway thankfully I've already got a useful response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)