Do we all suck or is our teacher being mean? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, my Mx1 class has three students and for the yearlies, our results were: 36, 38 (mine) and 42, out of 100. Now this contrasts with our half yearlies in which the results were like 79, 88 (mine) and 90.

I'm not sure about this. Do we all suck (we do get 90+ in 2u and the spectacular fall in results is questionable) or was our teacher trying to discourage us from taking more of his time in taking Mx2 next year or getting us to drop with absurdly difficult exams?

More background on the exam:
- Circle geometry questions take about 10 minutes each. Therefore in a 2 hour exam, it is not advisable (in my mind) to chuck six of them in.
- Induction questions with factorials (!) is not good, especially if you haven't even done factorials in the first place.
- 3D trigonometry questions such as (A has a bearing of 160 from a top of a mountain 1500m tall, with an angle of depression of 25 degrees, and B has a bearing of 40 to the mountain and has an angle of elevation to the top of the mountain of 16 degrees. What is the distance between A and B?) take about 20 minutes to complete - this with circle geometry questions are not fun.

And whatnot.

benhaddad

HSC
our class has about 30, and our class average for the last exam was 11/38 and our teacher blames the class.

we are alls tudents with a fairly high aptitude, and with decent work ethic.

in my opinion it is quite clear that there is more tot his than what our teacher suggest, which is that we dont work hard enough.

for the record im dropping it for yr 12

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
From your comments, it seems like a really difficult exam. This probably explains the bad marks, however, we need to see the paper to make a more proper judgement.

Has your teacher mentioned anything about 4 unit maths? Encouragement?

waller

HSC
i'm not sure whether i like it or hate it when they put heaps of circle geo in lol

some of the proofs do take awhile but generally it's pretty easy so more marks

HSC
N/A
Circle Geometry is really irritating, especially the reasons, it turns it to close to English for me, and i may be first in the year in standard english (Ladies! One at a time!) but really, the further away from it the better.

Anyway i concur with the others, we really need to see the actual exam. You have a tiny extension maths class though! But atleast your class seems to be doing the course in order, we've been doing the yr12 polynomials and parametrics now and saving series for next year.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
post the exam up, our yearly was also pretty hard most think they failed, but rumour was my teaching was going to force a few to drop, so maybe thats why

lychnobity

HSC
Well, my Mx1 class has three students and for the yearlies, our results were: 36, 38 (mine) and 42, out of 100. Now this contrasts with our half yearlies in which the results were like 79, 88 (mine) and 90.

I'm not sure about this. Do we all suck (we do get 90+ in 2u and the spectacular fall in results is questionable) or was our teacher trying to discourage us from taking more of his time in taking Mx2 next year or getting us to drop with absurdly difficult exams?

More background on the exam:
- Circle geometry questions take about 10 minutes each. Therefore in a 2 hour exam, it is not advisable (in my mind) to chuck six of them in.
- Induction questions with factorials (!) is not good, especially if you haven't even done factorials in the first place.
- 3D trigonometry questions such as (A has a bearing of 160 from a top of a mountain 1500m tall, with an angle of depression of 25 degrees, and B has a bearing of 40 to the mountain and has an angle of elevation to the top of the mountain of 16 degrees. What is the distance between A and B?) take about 20 minutes to complete - this with circle geometry questions are not fun.

And whatnot.
Wth are prelim exams doing with induction in them?!

Anyway, concur with others: need to seem exam paper. But it doesn't sound too bad of a test.

As Tim said, the harder, the better.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Which is very important in a class of 3 :rofl2:
well, a hard test can't really be bad, better than having a really easy test where everyone gets 90%. That's not really testing much then, if all the questions are easy. I mean, it doesn't really matter that the marks are 40, they'll get adjusted according to your HSC results anyway.

waller

HSC
yeah we did induction in prelim

only series, divisibility and inequality though. found them all pretty easy once I got the concept.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
the last exam is really hard compared to the first two or one. Mine is on friday >.<''

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'll post the exam soon... once I get it back. I just saw the mark...

So... anyone think I should push for 4u after my brilliant performance in this exam? =P

K

khorne

And whatnot.
Those all look fairly fine to me...I mean, unless you are a slow writer/etc circle geo isn't difficult, and neither is induction with factorials...Trig looks ok too...Post up the whole exam.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How is the Trig okay?! Your an HSC 2011 person... so year 10 now correct?

Try that question - I had fun drawing up the diagram before leaving it completely.

I hope I don't get upstaged by a year 10-er =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)