• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do we choose a major in first year of uni? (1 Viewer)

billybrown

HSC
N/A
going to melbourne uni next year, and was kinda undecided in what i want to major in, but i definitely want to do commerce.
i was wondering do you have to choose a major in the first year?

im tossing up between actuarial/finance but i also wanted to learn some people skills

also, is it beneficial to major in areas although melbourne uni doesnt allow double degrees :(

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
you don't have to, since you will be doing 1st year core units anyways.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
You don't need to pick a major but its best to do so. What do u mean MelbUni does not allow double degrees or are ypu mixed up with double majors? LOL. :p

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Just realised I made a typo and no they're not the same thing and most Unis don't allow double majors unless that student has great potential. If not just do a sub major but it does not show up on your certificate only on the transcript.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Just realised I made a typo and no they're not the same thing and most Unis don't allow double majors unless that student has great potential. If not just do a sub major but it does not show up on your certificate only on the transcript.
Huh?

You can double major at most unis.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I think it would be a good idea to think about these things prior to commencing semester. If your degree doesn't have many elective spots you can mess around with, you'll find that you may have to overload on certain semesters to complete the units required in a major. This does indeed happen as I know quite a few people who have looked at doing major X but then changed their mind and changed to major Y mid-way through the degree.

I would take some time to dwell on it but contact the staff which organise your particular major prior to commencing uni as you'll find they will be willing to sit down with you and give you some useful advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)