Do we learn circle geometry in year 11? (1 Viewer)

moni5281

HSC
Hi,

As the title suggests, I was wondering if the year 11 advanced maths course or extension 1 maths course covers circle geometry. I am asking this as I am studying a little bit of maths in preparation for year 11 and was about to start learning circle geometry as it is one of the like extension topics in my year 10 maths textbooks. Would it be worthwhile doing this chapter or would I be better of doing some of the other extension topics: functions and logarithms (I know how to do logarithms, just not that fluently) or should I look at polynomials and curve sketching?

Thanks in advance for any advice/replies :wink:

Audranda

HSC
Circle Geometry is covered in Extension 1 Maths. As for your other maths topics, I would first look over functions and logarithms.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The best thing you should do is actually to follow the order in which your school does the topics in-and so you can strategically study ahead of the school instead of choosing random topics from year 11 and try to cover that, or you can just study in a chronological fashion according to how the maths textbook is set out.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
but yes, under the syllabus circle geometry is covered under the preliminary MX1 course (also as a topic in year 10 5.3 maths but most schools don't get to it)

Last edited by a moderator:

moni5281

HSC
very helpful answers, thanks a lot :) sadly i do not know what my school is doing first, but will take a look a functions most likely!

plutonium-238

HSC
If you feel that you have the need to study circle geometry so that you have a broader understanding of the topic, it is highly recommendable to have a look through it. It is in my opinion that having a brief idea of the circle geometry topic can increase your likelihood of understanding the topic, rather than waiting for the teacher to teach the new information. That is, you do not need to get into each topic in great depth, as this is your 3u teacher's responsibility. You will have a clear understanding of the topic after slowly progressing through each topic and good luck with your studies!

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i think so yea, the teacher asked us if we wanted to start during the last month of school

moni5281

HSC
we did circle geo in yr 10 o_O
hahaha so did I, but our teacher only briefly skimmed over the topic right before the yearly exams but it wasn't going to be in the test, and so didn't even touch the homework, however doubt anyone else did it :p i know like little bits and pieces though which was why I was thinking of doing the chapter before i forget.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
same here, teacher just opened the books and explained the formulas and gave an example or two, the next few lessons were just bludge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)