Do we make notes for the readings? (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, first year student here:

I've looked on my university's website for any 1st week readings and I really cant find any (except for two subjects). Is it common for first year students to not have readings in their first week? All of the following weeks have readings.

Also, For readings that don't have any direct questions, what should I be doing? Just reading it? Making notes?

Also, also, I have a few units with both lecture readings and tutorial readings. Should I treat them as if they were the same?

Thanks.

izzy88

HSC
It is very common for no readings to be set in week 1. Generally tutorials don't run in first week, so there are no readings set. Lecturers also know that students are still trying to get textbooks/readers etc and so generally don't set readings for the first class (or week 1 in general)- this can change for more senior subjects.

Readings set for tutorials are usually more important to read before the tutorial as you will generally discuss those readings for the hour. In regards to taking notes, it would be good to at least take some dot points about the reading - what the reading is trying to say, do you agree? are there any flaws in the argument? interesting points. It will help to jog your memory for tutorials, and for study for exams down the track. Don't make them really detailed though - you won't read over them in that case, and it will take you too long.

Readings for lectures are generally there to further your understanding and provide background. They aren't as necessary to keep up with on a week to week basis, but if you aren't understanding whats going on, that would be a good first port of call.

What is expected of you in regards to readings can change depending on the university, the course and the lecturer. My advice above is just pretty general advice based on what I've experienced with law/arts subjects and how they treat readings - but for other courses it may be very different (especially in regards to readings set for lectures).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)