Do we need rote learning for physics (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
bahaha
physics isnt about knowledge, mathematical challenge, or even thinking....if u memorise the textbook, u'll get 100

marsesbars

Well.. in this year's exam there were some tricky calculations. Though I guess you could rote learn all possible "types" of calculations from a textbook. Or just look at the formula sheet in the exam and blindly try them all.. that usually works, sadly :)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by marsesbars
Well.. in this year's exam there were some tricky calculations. Though I guess you could rote learn all possible "types" of calculations from a textbook. Or just look at the formula sheet in the exam and blindly try them all.. that usually works, sadly :)
Bollocks, there was nothing remotely tricky. It's just basic arithmetic, know a few simple algorithms and you'll be fine. How many possible types are there? There's projectile motion, relativity, torque and other electromagnetic interactions, and whatever you have in the option. All the calculations in there could reasonably be set for year 8 and 9.

Memorise the lot and write with anally retentive markers in mind and you'll be fine.

SgtSlick

yep. umfortunately physics has become "scientific english - new and improved with a calculation topic!" its pretty sad......

:spam:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Yes, yes, and yes. Memorise your notes copied from textbook and you're set.

[edit: and this subject probably doesn't deserve the word scientific as much as the word implies...]

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
As I've mentioned in other threads, physics and chemistry have become so english-ised (if that's a word) that it simply tests your memory. Physics used to be math based and it should have stayed that way.

All the science subjects are about is key words and answering according to the marking criteria.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
in my belief no ... all you need to do is understand what is required ... and the answers should flow naturally ... i dun think its possible or pleasant to rote learn a thick textbook because its just too much work ... unless you are good at rote learning ... in which case go right ahead ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)