• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do we need the wild? (1 Viewer)

sean182

HSC
Hey, i got this essay question in english today and i have no idea how to go about answering it, i'd appreciate some help.

"write an essay considering the question "Do we need the Wild?" "

we're only supposed to discuss Brave New World but i have no idea how to begin.
thanks to anyone who can help

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
i'd start off with defining what 'the wild' is

and then, from there, argue it out

there isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' answer, just so long as you can back up your claims with evidence

goodluck!

Season

HSC
Very simply in my opinion

Having grown up in the country I don't consider the bush 'the wild' I consider jungles in Africa, Asia and south america 'the wild'.

And as far as my lifestyle goes it could operate quite well without it. I don't need the wild and the wild doesn't need me. To me 'the wild' is just the unknown, do we need to learn about the unknown or to have it? Not really, it could improve our lifestyles or outlook but we are functioning quite well without it.

One major point comes back to us though

Global warming, trees, and the CO2 cycle is the main thing counteracting our pollution, getting rid of the trees threatens our way of life.

That is purely on a 'ME' level, you also have

-animals
-other people apart from ourselves
-various industries
-flora fauna
-natural beauties of the world
-where we actually come from

etc. etc.

Kabbasi

HSC
Okay, Sean, here is my lovely polished two cents, which due to economic difficulties, are worthless (i.e. I haven't done my HSC yet either).

Well seeing as you're using good old Huxley in answering the question, I would sugeest that, as the others rightly say, you give a definition of "In the Wild". Then, I would think it best if you considered what the World State has made of the "Wild". You might think that no, we don't need the "Wild", look what the World State has done without it - scientific developments, no disease - but then you might say, at what cost has all this come at? The loss of individuality, once natural processes like birth and relationships have changed to conform to these new ideas of what is "Wild".

You'd have to make alot of reference to John the Savage, and see how he feels when he sees the World State. Think about the Savage Reservation, which appears to be the ultimate extreme of wild (it allows no restrictions upon people - there is natural elements, birth, disease, children... but this side of "wild" seems to be a pun on Huxley's behalf - as though he is saying that these people are 'wild' in the sense of being crazy but that was just my opinion.)

Use alot of quotes - those from the DHC and Mustapha Mond are particularly good - about how they live without nature. Then refer to the debate between Mond and John; John who believes that the World State is suffering without natural elements against Mustapha Mond who believes that nature and truth and beauty must be repressed.
:santa:
Story of my life.

rogerrluo

HSC
i would define the wild, and say something about man's interaction with nature, and its significance

i also got a hint from a teacher to ignore beginning of BNW during comparisons, only quote

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
That's a pretty sweet essay question right there, and for someone like me who hates Blade Runner, it's a dream come true to not have to write about it.

My idea is that the wild in the texts is a purely abstract and irrational concept - one that sometimes the characters don't even know exist. The wild emodies freedom for the characters, as opposed to the false sense of freedom that they already feel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)