Do we need to buy textbooks before uni starts? (1 Viewer)

Mark Darcy

HSC
just wondering if it is necessary to buy textbooks before uni starts. Actually, textbooks are such a rip off - should we buy them at all?
And also, is there anything I need to do to prepare for uni?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Most lecturers tell you what textbooks you need during the first lecture. Don't buy any until they tell you. Some won't even mention a textbook. Others will say it's not compulsory. Others will tell you if you don't buy the book, you'll fail.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Depending on the subject you can get just as much info from the online resources provided by the library. Or google. Also, the library has a reserve collection of books, that can only be borrowed for two hours, and cannot leave the library. Normally these are textbooks.

santaslayer

HSC
I have to buy at least one textbook b4 uni starts because they gave us a million pages to read b4 we attend our 1st seminar on the very 1st week...fuck them..

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Ms 12 said:
You're really keen to whore google out aren't you Tim?
Of course. If I don't know what something is, a quick search on Google (or Google define: ), and I have new knowledge.

It's a useful tool, especially when it comes to gathering information about unknown topics. Also there are plenty of good Easter Eggs in there too. :D

malkin86

HSC
I have heard rumours about a 2nd hand textbook shop - does anyone know where it is?

Ninga

HSC
malkin86 said:
I have heard rumours about a 2nd hand textbook shop - does anyone know where it is?
Theres the SRC one which is in like the SRC place, in the "glasshouse" place on campus. Theres also another one which is off campus, i think its the alumni bookshop? Its directly across the road from the unishop entrance on the main road, in the house there, i think its only open a few days a week between like 10 - 2...theres some gems there.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
santaslayer said:
I have to buy at least one textbook b4 uni starts because they gave us a million pages to read b4 we attend our 1st seminar on the very 1st week...fuck them..
And that's because you put yourself in to the slaugherhouse of LLB :p

I don't buy my books until 2nd week when I have tutorials and see if they are really necessary.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
gmraso said:
So they'll give you that line inorder to sell their over priced books that you can cheaper from else where. (end of ramble)

Ive found that unishop tends to sell textbooks cheaper than the coop bookshop?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I've found the unishop is useless. They blame lecturers for not having the right textbooks, but then the lecturers say they made the order months before. Considering the lecturers in this position who I've spoken to seem to all be very organised and on top of things, I tend to believe them.

Ninga

HSC
Just get ya books from Amazon. I've found a fair few of my texts that i've needed have been way cheaper there, though sometimes u have to wait a few weeks for them. But, if you know what books you need before session then you can order them at a cheaper price. I know i got some gems 2nd hand online for a fraction of the retail price, ie i got this book by Turner, "Atoms, Radiation and Radiation Protection" for like $20 2nd hand, and it was in perfect condition when i got it. It retails for like $100+ so that was hella sweet! That was from www.alibris.com though.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
That's actually a pretty smart idea...

But whats even cheaper is just flogging a textbook off the first poor soul who falls asleep or leaves their bag unattended in a lecture. :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ninga said:
Just get ya books from Amazon. I've found a fair few of my texts that i've needed have been way cheaper there, though sometimes u have to wait a few weeks for them. But, if you know what books you need before session then you can order them at a cheaper price. .

Its a good idea, I order a lot of stuff (non-uni related) from Amazon, but its near impossible to find textbooks for law because because its Australia-specific. Itd be fine if I wanted books on US law.

santaslayer

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Ive found that unishop tends to sell textbooks cheaper than the coop bookshop?
That's because of the existing percentage off we have provided by the student union.
The govt provided a certain percantage until last year as well. That has already been axed. (GST remedy I think?)....we still have the union discount...

Ninga

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Its a good idea, I order a lot of stuff (non-uni related) from Amazon, but its near impossible to find textbooks for law because because its Australia-specific. Itd be fine if I wanted books on US law.
Yeap, good thing Physics is the same the whole world round. All my texts come from America anyways i think. So its all sweet :)

Yeah, the extra subsidy they used to have on textbooks, i think it was an extra 8%, was to counter the extra cost of GST when it came in. It was only meant to be for a few years, and that finished last year.

HSC
Raiks said:
That's actually a pretty smart idea...

But whats even cheaper is just flogging a textbook off the first poor soul who falls asleep or leaves their bag unattended in a lecture. :D
Speaking from the perspective of someone who falls asleep in lectures regularly, I find that highly unethical. I'd definitely crack some heads over that when/if I woke up :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Speaking from the perspective of someone who falls asleep in lectures regularly, I find that highly unethical. I'd definitely crack some heads over that when/if I woke up :)
I fall asleep reguarly in lectures too. So all it means is that there's just a cycle of stealing books as the book you stole is stolen from you forcing you to steal the book again and so the cycle continues :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)