Do We Need to Know Pearson's correlation formula? (1 Viewer)

AKONS

HSC
The syllabus specifies we need to "calculate and interpret Pearson's correlation coefficient" but the formula itself is not written in the syllabus or the data sheet.

So do we have to memorise the formula? Or do any questions that involve this formula just provide it for you?

5uckerberg

HSC
Mostly just understand how the formula came about through the logical steps done and you will be fine. It reminds me of the case of the product in the numerator and the length on the denominator. Resembles the gradient of the graph. between 1 and -1.

icycledough

HSC
I believe from having done the HSC last year, binomial is the main type of probability/statistics topic which is usually assessed. From memory, I don't recall ever coming across a Pearson's correlation coefficient. That said though, I should abide by what I said earlier, which was to make sure you are still prepared for anything they can throw at you.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Unlikely but not impossible for Ext1. It is in the Advanced syllabus. It would need to be merged with another Ext1 topic somehow to appear as a question.

notme123

HSC
The syllabus specifies we need to "calculate and interpret Pearson's correlation coefficient" but the formula itself is not written in the syllabus or the data sheet.

So do we have to memorise the formula? Or do any questions that involve this formula just provide it for you?
1637197146780.png
is this it? it would be absurd if they expect us to remember it, projection formula is already more than enough memory. they would provide it in the question right? and more to that, the numbers would hopefully be ideal to create an easily solvable ap or something easy to calculate

5uckerberg

HSC
View attachment 33842
is this it? it would be absurd if they expect us to remember it, projection formula is already more than enough memory. they would provide it in the question right? and more to that, the numbers would hopefully be ideal to create an easily solvable ap or something easy to calculate
A little idea would be to utilise the formula for vectors between them which is a good way to think of the Pearson's correlation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)