Do we need to mention states for Equations? (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
i was just wondering if we needed to mention states for chemical equations like in the long answer questions... in the success one books they dont include states for the euqations in the long answer questions

tennille

HSC
You mean like aqueous, gas, etc? I think it would be best if you did so. I remember for a practical assessment I lost a mark for not putting in the different states because someone else did.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
f3nr15 said:
If no one included states then no marks would be lost ?
I suggest you do put down the states to be safe but depends on how nice the marker is.

Anotehr common mistake in writing equations is not writing the subscripted numbers properly.
Some people, for a hydrogen molecule, accidently 'H-squared' or H2 instead of a H and a little 2 that's on the bottom.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
In the past, a student from my school came 2nd in the whole state in HSC Chemistry because he forgot to mention states in his responses.
So remember your (g), (l), (s) & (aq)

tennille said:
You mean like aqueous, gas, etc? I think it would be best if you did so. I remember for a practical assessment I lost a mark for not putting in the different states because someone else did.
Then if no one mentioned states then no one would have lost marks ?

tennille

HSC
Thanks fenris. :)

Exactly, no one would have lost marks if that person didn't do it, which is why I complained. Unfortunately, I got nowhere. :(

kloudsurfer

HSC
Im confused...

Say theres a one mark question that says 'write a balanced chemical equation for...', if we didnt mention states then would we get one mark or zero?

beentherdunthat

HSC
My teacher gives us 0... "there's no 0.5 marks in HSC!!!" (Or is there...?)

STATES are your life in chemistry.. always remember them and put them down in EVERY equation. My deepest sympathies to that person who got ranked 2nd for missing them out... i would DIE. DIE. DIe.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
My teacher gives us 0... "there's no 0.5 marks in HSC!!!" (Or is there...?)

STATES are your life in chemistry.. always remember them and put them down in EVERY equation. My deepest sympathies to that person who got ranked 2nd for missing them out... i would DIE. DIE. DIe.
Sometimes I'm confused between using (l) or (aq) with solutions.

Your internal assessment marks the teacher enters into the Board Of Studies can be integers only.
My teacher calculates the sum of marks to a certain decimal place then will round them off to an integer when entering those marks to BOS.
The marks allocated in the HSC can be integers only.

beentherdunthat

HSC
lol well you know what ? salts and acids are always aqueous... as well as ionss

i hate THAT as well.. i always do major guesses... :S

My chem exam is on Thursday, we have mod.3 as welll as Industrial Chem to study for... god, I can't wait to finish studying it...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, sometimes I confused with the states. How do we know whether or not a substance is aqeuous?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Kujah said:
Yeah, sometimes I confused with the states. How do we know whether or not a substance is aqeuous?
AS this person said ...
beentherdunthat said:

i hate THAT as well.. i always do major guesses... :S

My chem exam is on Thursday, we have mod.3 as welll as Industrial Chem to study for... god, I can't wait to finish studying it...
Thanks for reminding ...

I rememember now...

e.g Mg2+(aq) + Ca2(s) --> 2Ca+(aq) + Mg(s)

Salts in solutions and ions are always aqueous.

beentherdunthat

HSC
f3nr15 said:
AS this person said ...

Thanks for reminding ...

I rememember now...

e.g Mg2+(aq) + Ca2(s) --> 2Ca+(aq) + Mg(s)

Salts in solutions and ions are always aqueous.
Calcium isn't diatomic :p :p So its just Ca

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Calcium isn't diatomic :p :p So its just Ca
According to the 2006 HSC Chemistry Standard Potentials table the reduction reaction is:

Ca2+ + 2e <--> Ca(s) –2.87 V

Damn, why do I get confused with the damn halogens that like to combine with metals unstable with air / hydrogen gas !!!

beentherdunthat

HSC
f3nr15 said:
According to the 2006 HSC Chemistry Standard Potentials table the reduction reaction is:

Ca2+ + 2e <--> Ca(s) –2.87 V

Damn, why do I get confused with the damn halogens that like to combine with metals unstable with air / hydrogen gas !!!
lol yeah galvametric cells is a bit different... don't rely on that !! How far into the course are you guys?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lol yeah galvametric cells is a bit different... don't rely on that !! How far into the course are you guys?
Started Option Topic (Shipwrecks, Corrosion & Conservation).
The return of the galvanic cells.

This option topic is in my opinion is the most convenient because there is nothing too much that is really new and the galvanic cells are back, which we already new from The Production of Materials, YAY !
A far cry from Biochemistry of movement.

beentherdunthat

HSC
f3nr15 said:
Started Option Topic (Shipwrecks, Corrosion & Conservation).
The return of the galvanic cells.

This option topic is in my opinion is the most convenient because there is nothing too much that is really new and the galvanic cells are back, which we already new from The Production of Materials, YAY !
A far cry from Biochemistry of movement.
Galvanic cells are the besttt!!!!... We're doing Industrial Chem.. that's okay I guess, goes through stuff like making soap, making Na0H using electrolysis and stuff.. Experiments are fun, we done one on making soap and it BLEW Up LOL :rofl: ...Was funny except i got burntt!!! (d/w its all good... i survived!!)

Biocehmistry would have been easy I thinkzz!! But ah well, it's all good!!

Soul Searcher

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
i'm afraid you're incorrect. HCl is an acid that is more commonly found as a gas than an aqueous solution.
HCl (g) + H20 (l) --> ......

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
hey umm.. during the fermentation process..... is glucose liquid or aqueous also... is the ethanol liquid or aqueous so many books have so many different explanations :S

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Soul Searcher said:
i'm afraid you're incorrect. HCl is an acid that is more commonly found as a gas than an aqueous solution.
HCl (g) + H20 (l) --> ......
I concur.

Though HCl gas is highly toxic and should be avoided.
Laboratory grade HCl has rather minimal risk of HCl been released as a gas due to the stabilisation given when ionised.

Also, not all acids are aq. Succinic acid, is found as a solid at room temperature, so is ascorbic IIRC.

During fermentation, yeast is immensed in a solution of glucose and sucrose @37C. Therefore, aq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)