Do we need to mention states for Equations? (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Anything that is dissolved in a liquid (i.e. acts as a solute) is typically written as in aqueous state. If you've seen the actual chemical reaction before such as in a practical session, then you should have no problem writing down the states in your equations. For example in the fermentation process, if you did the experiment, then glucose is in aqueous form because it is dissolved in water at a certain concentration (pure glucose is in solid form I think). Since the water is still there after ethanol has been produced and no precipitate (insoluble solids) is visible, then ethanol is therefore assumed to be in aqueous state.

States are actually necessary when writing down your equations. In the past HSC markers' comments there was something like "Better responses showed the states of each product/reactant etc" for a question requiring a chemical equation. I'm not sure if that means you lose marks for not including them, but its best to write them down just in case plus it shows you understand the reaction better than if you didn't include them.

Looking Glass

HSC
I'll bring this thread back from the dead Just to make sure I get it...

There is one question in the HSC that they specifically mark for states, right? Perhaps a simple equation for two marks.

So in other questions that don't require it, I obviously would lose no marks for leaving the states out.
However, if I were to give the states incorrectly for a question that didn't require it in the first place would I lose the mark?

Thanks for any insight.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Well my teachers dont' mark down for it.... like ethanol as a liquid or aqueous during the fermentation process... they'll just change it. But if it's GAS then that's completely off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)