Do year 11 ranks usually correlate? (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Generally it does. It's a small indicator of where everyone might be, but people change their studying habits in Year 12 or they simply want to acheive.
I know that in Year 11, I was 23rd in English and in Year 12 I managed to acheive 2nd.
Same with SOR2, I was 7th and got up to 3rd.

Anything can happen, just try your best :)

DancingAnz

HSC
I was killing it in year 11, i tried so hard and ranked top 3 in all my subjects.
Now i'm in year twelve with no motivation and more people trying harder, and frankly i'm going shit balls.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
if you're ranked highly in year 11 theres no reason you wont be able to maintain it with consistent work :)
my mentality was year 11 doesnt count so i didnt try too hard. jumped up so many ranks in year 12 and surprised the shit out of people haha

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Depends.

Mine sort of did.

English - 6th - 9th
Maths - 2nd - X
Maths X1 - 4th - 2nd
Maths X2 - X - 3rd
Biology - 4th - 3rd
Chemistry - 6th - 4th
SOR2 - 7th - 2nd

It depends on your effort and stuff, really.
I didn't put in more study or whatever during year 12 but during the tests I took them more seriously because I knew they counted so I guess that made it better???

leesh95

HSC
I had a lot of personal problems in Yr 11 and couldn't focus properly. I do feel I am doing better in year 12. Also I have been really surprised by some people in my year that have almost come out of nowhere.
The truth is a lot of people start putting in a lot of effort in year 12 but not bother in year 11.

I do think Maths and English are a slight exception though.

Last edited:

espiritulol

HSC
It really depends. Like I did jack crap in year 11 so came pretty average in terms of ranks, but I'm actually starting to try in year 12 and my ranks are getting pulled up.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
not for me, didnt give jack all for year 11...... I was top 40% of ext maths (almost didnt "let me" do ext 2 btw), top 25% of 2u maths, 30% chem/phys and like top 45% adv english

so then I studied hard and finished with 3rd for adv english, and 2nd for every other subject, lol it was such a good feeling. btw the people who got first in phys/chem/2u/3u burnt out from year 11

v1

HSC
2u/3u 1st ---> 3u/4u 1st
chem 20/60 ---> 2/40 topped cohort in hsc
phys 2/40 ---> 1/40
eng adv 50/60 ---> 8/60
i dont think ranks carry on except maths

jadiskris

HSC
Concentrate and do your best for yr eleven but really put it all in for yr twelve
You don't have to do really well, say for example topping the grade in the preliminary years but you can't afford to do bad in them either as you need basic knowledge and skills in most subjects later on.

most people loses their motivation after a full year of dedicated hard work that didn't even really count majorly towards anything
I came first in the grade for most of my subjects in yr 11 and right now i'm losing the energy slowly...
/dead

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, wish that was the case! My sister is in the HSC now and her marks have dropped from what they were in prelim. She said that you have to ace every little assessment regardless of weight. Check out: easyessays4u.wordpress.com - helped her - helping me
Publishing of any illegal website content or url should be avoided.

Thanks

kvothe

HSC
It depends. At my High School, most of the people who worked hard and were at the top in Year 11 were also at the top in Year 12. However, there are a few who come out of nowhere in Year 12. Also, there are others who drop off either because they lose motivation or because they were lazy up until Year 12 and couldnt handle the HSC workload.
I agree with this. Generally your top 5-10 will stay stable, as they're the ones who are motivated and work hard anyway. There are some that shoot from rank like 50-100 (150 kids at my school) up to about 30, because they're secretly a genius.

As a general rule, hard work in the earlier years pays off later. I have never seen someone who only started putting in effort in year twelve rise from a mediocre rank to top of the school.

moocow920

HSC
I think if you keep up the effort, and put even more effort in yr 12 you can maintain the high marks, however you will have more competition for ranks with those marks. Yr 11 i was in bottom ten for pretty much all my subjects, and this year im in top 5 or higher for over half of them, and first in two, so things can really change. So basically i think if you maintain and increase effort you can maintain good results, but other people might pass you and get even better

heatherfeather

HSC
In my school year 11 rankings don't correlate to year 12 rankings. Many people with high potential didnt really care about year 11 and used that time as prep for the next year. Year 11 is the year to make mistakes, my advice is do your best in year 11 and pick up on these mistakes before year 12 comes around. I've found that these are the people who come up out of no where.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)