Do you bring your textbooks to Tutes? (1 Viewer)

izzy88

HSC
Depends on the tutorial and the subject (and practicalities such as how many tutes you have in a day, how heavy are the textbooks). I tend to try to bring readers to tutes because it jogs my memory of what i've read, but I generally don't bring textbooks. They are too heavy, and a tutorial is more focused on discussion rather than flicking through a textbook. They are also too heavy to lug them all around.

Kelsey2

HSC
Would you reccomend bringing the folder to the tutes or just A4 notebook + pen?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know for my maths tutes, I'd just bring a paper and pen and copy the solutions on the board. For Commerce tutes, I'd either sit and listen to the mini-lecture or jot something down when written on the board.

So in my experience, just a paper and pen. Write anything new or something.

izzy88

HSC
Just paper and pen is normally fine. I use my laptop in classes, so I now tend to bring that to tutorials as well. To be honest, I think everything depends on what subjects you are doing and how tutorials are run - some tutorials are discussions, some you do problem questions, some are just like mini lectures and you just sit and listen to the tutor - it just depends on the tutor/subject. You will find out after the first tutorial what they expect and what you will need.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Depends what you cover in the tutorial but I usually bring my lecture notes+tutorial questions

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Oh really you don't have to bring textbooks? what about for Business students?? what does the tutor normally do?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh really you don't have to bring textbooks? what about for Business students?? what does the tutor normally do?
Business/Commerce students should, in my experience. They cover questions and stuff from the textbook.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I like to bring textbooks to tutorials as they serve as a great point of reference when completing and discussing tutorial questions. If the tute questions have questions from the textbook obviously you would be advised to bring the textbook.

Millsy90

HSC
Usually your tutor will inform you as to whether you need to bring it to classes.

In my experience it can be good to bring it, either to find answers or look like you are reading when silly questions are being asked.

Aphex

HSC
N/A
Tutes start in week 2 so when will i need them by then?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In Commerce the only subjects which really needed it were economics (because one tutor liked to refer to the textbook) and legal subjects (because a lot of the time skimming readings can help you figure out whats going on, and also because legislation is not the easiest thing to remember off the top of your head- had you read it beforehand).

honsaw

HSC
N/A
So for other subjects its mainly discussion and is it complusory to speak out as i don't see any marks for participation..

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So for other subjects its mainly discussion and is it complusory to speak out as i don't see any marks for participation..
Some units do have participation marks, but I've personally not come across that often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)