• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you buy your books or borrow them from the library? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I am just wondering if you buy your books or borrow them from the library because I usually only buy books (I kind of collect them) and it is costing me a fortune:(.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i used to ALWAYS borrow books from the library but now i've also started to buy the books that i really like and regularly re read. im sort of starting up a little library of my own! the books i buy are usually very cheap, stuff like classics for 5 bucks but occasionally i like contemporary stuff and they are quite pricey, even for a paper back...even so, i still borrow regularly from the library but now its for research and assessments not novels!

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
yeah same... i borrowed harry potter a thousand times from the library and then i was like, stuff it i'll just buy the books

so yeah i'd advise to borrow them from teh library first, and if you reaally like them then buy it?

i haven't stepped into a library for aaaages!! since nov 5th, if i remember correctly :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by bubz :D
so yeah i'd advise to borrow them from teh library first, and if you reaally like them then buy it?
There would be no point me doing that because I am not one for reading a book more than once. There is nothing worse in my opinion than knowing what is going to happen in a book:).

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Well, why buy them for then? If your only going to read it once you might as well borrow it form the library.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I previously would almost exclusively obtain my books from the library. In the past year however, I've been buying a large proportion of the books I read.. (About 45 or so, excluding the many I've been given). Would buy more, but am precluded by the financial situation.

Melanie Jane

I do both. I borrow a whole load of texts for assignments/study but only some novels. I buy quite a lot of novels too, especially if they are cheap at the time.

Sasky

HSC
I borrow practically everything from the library and have only recently considered buying books. I read books about once unless they are a very good read, an extreme classic or for personal or school study.
If I feel like I want to buy a book, I might nip into a second hand store and grab stacks (even St.Vinnies have great deals - I got about twenty books for $6 at the Chatswood store) or if I want something to treasure for keepsake I would definetly buy it.
I am an extreme avid reader and would die to have a huge huge beautiful, resourceful and extensive library... but I have a small one at home - which is growing! :)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
I borrow from the library because it allows for you "try before you buy" in some sense.

However, I prefer to borrow for the library for the simple reason that I love libraries. I think that libraries can be fascinating (always with the nazi of a librarian to top it all off!). The financial situation limits everyone in some sense ... but even though I can buy, I choose not to for the reason of seeing a library with its odd collection of hardbacks and paperbacks. Romance next to horror and books that are dog-eared to show that they've been appreciated by many before you. A bookshop has the atmosphere of books being appreciated most definitely ... but in a library you can try and sketch stories! (Except for our old school library which was just shite, explain to me why a SCHOOL Library doesn't have a copy of Huxley's Brave New World?)

I usually get given the books that I truly adore, and they stay in mint condition... I hate ruining books that are mine!

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
i usually try before i buy but my ultimate dream is to own a huge library with walls of books WITH THE LADDER THINGY THAT SLIDES ACROSS!

that would be swell...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i borrow, if i get a book i usually don't read it again anyway

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Misturi
Well, why buy them for then? If your only going to read it once you might as well borrow it form the library.

Originally posted by Merethrond
I am just wondering if you buy your books or borrow them from the library because I usually only buy books (I kind of collect them) and it is costing me a fortune:(.
As stated in the above quote, I just like to collect them and I also like to refer to a book from time to time. Just say I was reading the third book in a trilogy and all of a sudden something came op that was mentioned in the first book. If I had borrowed it from the library, I would have to go back down to the library and get the book but since I have it already at home, I can just quickly get the reference:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Nupil
I borrow from the library because it allows for you "try before you buy" in some sense.
I usually just rely on reviews for my books:).

Originally posted by Nupil
I usually get given the books that I truly adore, and they stay in mint condition... I hate ruining books that are mine!
Me too. That is why I want to get hardbacks because the paperbacks crease and tend to fall apart sometimes:(.

Originally posted by veanz
i usually try before i buy but my ultimate dream is to own a huge library with walls of books WITH THE LADDER THINGY THAT SLIDES ACROSS!
Yeah, that would be cool WITHOUT THE LADDER;). The thing is, I would only like to have a library with the particular genres I like:).

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by veanz
my ultimate dream is to own a huge library with walls of books WITH THE LADDER THINGY THAT SLIDES ACROSS!

that would be swell...
lol yeah!! like the library in disney's "beauty and the beast"....

Originally posted by Merethrond
There would be no point me doing that because I am not one for reading a book more than once. There is nothing worse in my opinion than knowing what is going to happen in a book.
really? i think i've re-read every single book i own at least five times (excluding the bible) :D

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by bubz :D
lol yeah!! like the library in disney's "beauty and the beast"....

really? i think i've re-read every single book i own at least five times (excluding the bible) :D
I don't know how you can stand it. The reason I read is to go on a journey with a particular character and if I know how that journey is going to end, it would just become too boring:) .

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I borrow everything I read, and purchase the ones I think are worth keeping. Whenever I buy books I make a point of finding the hardcover, even if it has become very rare or expensive. The only exeptions I make are for Classics (as I'm getting a leatherbound collection...when I inherit it) and reference books I use very frequently, like character dictionaries and handbooks.

I also don't reread books very much, unless it has been many years since I last read them. That said I collect series like Discworld and Tolkien (yes all of them), since I one day hope to go through them all again at leisure. Of course I keep them all in mint condition...though I need another bookcase. :(

Serpentia

I love buying books.......................but they cost....... *cries*

So I sometimes buy them, sometimes borrow them

If I think I will need them for school purposes, I buy them.... or get my mum to buy them actually :D :D :D

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
A major factor in my buying books, other than for the purposes of re-reading, reference, and literary pride, is that many of the books I buy aren't at local libraries, therefore eliminating the option.

Nupil

HSC
N/A
I'm just thankful that I live in the age where there is amazon.com (Far far too many hours spent here by yours truly!)

Like Gregor Samsa pointed out, libraries are usually limited (My own horrid experience yesterday!) ... but then I've found some bookshops have also been quite lacking as well.

Amazon.com has slowly crept to one of my top bookmarks for the sole reason that you can get such a vast selection at your fingertips from across the world. Once there was a time when several people wouldve hunted one volume of one particular series across the globe! (... well it was once :p)

That has nothing to do with anything, besides the simple fact that bookshops are taking on a whole different meaning with the likes of technology. As someone pointed out to me - there are now e-books of practically everything. ... I couldn't imagine anything worse, but others are happy with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)