Do you fear death? (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
prichardson said:
I find that concept applies to all things, you've no doubt heard of something along the lines of "how can there be peace without war?" and that type of thing. It's tied in to the ying-yang ideology isn't it?
Certainly, you can argue that. I was mainly just stating what seems to be a contingent, empirically verified fact about human psychology. Whether the '... comes to appreciate life in the face of death' predicate necessarily applies to other beings similar to ourselves is another matter altogether.

A lot of arguments for the interdependence of concepts/objects/etc have come out of eastern philosophies. The metaphor I always liked was that of Indra's Net: picture an infinite gossamer cobweb stretched out in space which possesses a single, elegant gem at each vertex. Each gem in the net reflects every other gem in the net, and the reflections of the reflections, and so on in an infinite recursive loop. It thus becomes impossible to describe any one bead in full without also describing all those other beads which are reflected on its many faces. Every object thus depends on all other objects for its identity/being. Such is interdependence.

Nat3skiz

HSC
ahnaf.choco said:
i dont fear death. i fear what lay ahead of death in a religious context.
there are many painless ways of dying if one is looking forward to commit suicide, but in my religion (Islam), hell is guaranteed for those who kill themselves. even for those who die a natural death...theres a big trial for them ahead....even if seen from a christian's point of view so yea.
Your religion fails.

Nat3skiz

HSC
prichardson said:
That's silly! The concept of nothingness relies of there being absolutely no point of reference or context. Merely by implying that in death you would experience nothing there is a frame of reference. A real absence of anything would be... nothing. Beyond thought, action, emotion. Just- nothing. How can you fear an absence when it is impossible to grasp such a thing for any being?
as for you... The fact that nothingness could possibly await her is what she fears. She isn't trying to grasp the concept of having no point of reference, she is scared that her existence will cease because obviously she enjoys living.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
I do not wish for death as I do not want to lose everything that I have gained this year.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Nat3skiz said:
as for you... The fact that nothingness could possibly await her is what she fears. She isn't trying to grasp the concept of having no point of reference, she is scared that her existence will cease because obviously she enjoys living.
Obviously... I'm attempting to allay that fear.

KFunk said:
Certainly, you can argue that. I was mainly just stating what seems to be a contingent, empirically verified fact about human psychology. Whether the '... comes to appreciate life in the face of death' predicate necessarily applies to other beings similar to ourselves is another matter altogether.

A lot of arguments for the interdependence of concepts/objects/etc have come out of eastern philosophies. The metaphor I always liked was that of Indra's Net: picture an infinite gossamer cobweb stretched out in space which possesses a single, elegant gem at each vertex. Each gem in the net reflects every other gem in the net, and the reflections of the reflections, and so on in an infinite recursive loop. It thus becomes impossible to describe any one bead in full without also describing all those other beads which are reflected on its many faces. Every object thus depends on all other objects for its identity/being. Such is interdependence.
Good post, I'll go look more into the Indra's Net thing.

Ying-Yang makes me happy :rolleyes: It's like homeostasis too... and pretty much everything to some extent. It's great!

Nat3skiz

HSC
prichardson said:
Worth a shot. And it's not even your fear I was trying to allay, so your comment is invalid like a 90 year old's sperm
its hardly comparable to your sperm.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Ennaybur said:
I can't even fathom how you atheists (particularly) aren't afraid of death. coz it scares the hell out of me. and the end is all i can see. coz it scares the hell out of me
Excellent and beautiful song, though I disagree with it.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Slidey said:
Excellent and beautiful song, though I disagree with it.
Do you think you believe that you are, in some sense, immortal? I.e. that your good works will carry on etc?

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Fear of death is just a phase. You grow out of it, or you become to busy enjoying/hating life that you forget to fear it. Then when you get old at your deathbed you welcome it.

Why do you think there are so many younger ppls throwing themselves at hillsong and churches? They promise you what you want, that even when you die there'll be some part of you that will continue to exist. It's like for lots of ppl the thought that we'll just disappear is unbearable. Or the "disappearance" of loved ones; i know a couple of ppl who convert after their parents/grandparents have passed away.

I used to think that these kinds of people "need" religion, that it's their thread that binds them to sanity, and if they wake up to the reality of this nightmare they'll lose what they have. But now i think that's kind of condescending... poor kids, let them have their religion and their comfort... You don't need religion to be comfortable with death.

p__D

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Nat3skiz said:
its hardly comparable to your sperm.
'Hi, I'm a slighty refined 4 year old, look at my thuper advanced modification of "I know you are you said you are"!'

...and no, it's not at all comparable with my sperm- main point of difference? Mine is still functional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)