• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you get ATAR estimate in yr 11? (2 Viewers)

Siddy123

HSC
I'm not too sure.
However, I would think that would be completely pointless, as many students significantly change their attitude towards learning and develop a stronger work ethic in the last term of yr 11 school year.( yr 12).
According to my school's curriculum coordinator, most schools don't estimate atars as this can have a negative effect on students.
1. If a student gets a very impressing estimate, they may "lay back" between trials and HSC and in turn minimise their chances of a potentially high atar.

2. If a student gets an undesirable Atar, they may think that all hope is lost and completely give up, in turn also minimising their chances of survival. ( they may be suicidal:p).

Also, It is unlikely they would estimate in yr 11 due to the fact, that you havent even started the yr 12 course, nor have you sat any exams.
Accordingly, they would have no ranks/marks to base the estimate on.

So i would say, there would be no estimate in yr 11.

hope that helps;)

Ryan_T90

HSC
Yes, at my school we did.
Just out of curiosity, did that work in your favour or any other students favour in your year group? Did it provide motivation or did it cause people to slack off a little?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Um, to be honest, it was a while ago for me (nearly 4 years). At the Yr 11 half yearly, they were really vague estimates, like 98+ (that was the top). At the Yr 11 yearly, the estimates became more precise (99+), then in Year 12 they came even more precise (to 99.XX).

Whether they served as motivation; I can't remember. I was fairly highly strung in Yr 12, and I could've gotten by being a little more chilled (though, I am pretty chilled in uni and my poor marks are showing it :p).

Sorry, I realise it doesn't really answer your question, but to be honest, I can't remember. As for others, yes, a few who got Yr 11 estimates of 95~ really pulled their fingers out in Yr 12 and got low 99s.

enoilgam

HSC
Some schools offer it but personally I think they are of little use in year 11. Overall though I think an estimate is more trouble then its worth - thats why I never saw my one.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, you will have people fall from the top, as you will have people who shoot to the top (predominantly those smart people who didn't give a fuck from Yrs 7-11).

Magical Kebab

HSC
Yes, you will have people fall from the top, as you will have people who shoot to the top (predominantly those smart people who didn't give a fuck from Yrs 7-11).
The majority start to put effort in year 11, well around 4 people in my school do.

D94

HSC
N/A
The fact that rankings get reset when you start Year 12 sort of voids the accuracy (if any) and purpose of an estimate in Year 11. There might not be as much motivation to perform well, and many students do up the ante when they get into Year 12.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If there is such thing, I doubt it would be an ~accurate~ representation of your ATAR.

In Year 11, I was ranked quite poorly in Chemistry, Biology and English.

In Year 12, I was much better and still beat the people who came First in (the Sciences) Year 11.

Nevertheless, my English still remained not quite up to scratch. I just never understood the idea of analysing texts and arguing abstract concepts.

katharinetat

HSC
Uni Grad
A friend of mine had troubles in her life in year 11 last year, and she ended up completing the preliminary course but the school told her that she didn't have enough coming to school hours to satisfy the requirements. Her parents were called in and she sat down with the principal and had a talk and she told me that the school (apparently) gives people an ATAR estimate from the start of year 7. Yeah, I think it's pointless - obviously this is going to be pretty inaccurate over the 6 years. She's currently repeating year 11 (ie. in my grade) and in class she told me about how the principal (now ex principal) told her about the ATAR estimate our school gives and she got an estimate of 96, so that's what's keeping her going at school. Don't count my word for it though. But I still think it's not worth having an ATAR estimate anyway.

Siddy123

HSC
A friend of mine had troubles in her life in year 11 last year, and she ended up completing the preliminary course but the school told her that she didn't have enough coming to school hours to satisfy the requirements. Her parents were called in and she sat down with the principal and had a talk and she told me that the school (apparently) gives people an ATAR estimate from the start of year 7. Yeah, I think it's pointless - obviously this is going to be pretty inaccurate over the 6 years. She's currently repeating year 11 (ie. in my grade) and in class she told me about how the principal (now ex principal) told her about the ATAR estimate our school gives and she got an estimate of 96, so that's what's keeping her going at school. Don't count my word for it though. But I still think it's not worth having an ATAR estimate anyway.

ayye what is HS1917 is that a uni course? ( distinction course or something yeah)????

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
People will change in a year. Obviously then, year 11 atar estimate would be quite redundant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)