• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you have to do any maths in high school to major in Finance? (1 Viewer)

politrix

HSC
Hey there, I'm currently at a selective high school and i'm thinking about a career in investment banking. I would like to do a Bach of Commerce at Usyd and major in Finance (i've heard it's the best option in terms of entering the field) but i'm worried about the maths aspect of finance or investment banking in general.

I'm not bad with numbers..i generally average 80% and get A's and B's in the state level but I go to selective so its extremely competitive in school and I don't particularly enjoy maths. I've made the decision to drop all maths subjects for my HSC's and my subjects are: Ext Eng, Modern History, Geography, Economics and Textiles & Design. For all my subjects i usually get in the high 90's and I learn quickly but I'm a bit worried because i've chosen to avoid maths i won't cope in a Bach of Commerce.

Advice ?? Thanks! :) (Also, are my subjects alright? If i need a 97ish ATAR will my subjects scale ok?)

australiandate

HSC
Just do your best in your subjects and you'll bew fine. Although you need to deal with numbers in finance, its more about understanding the theories behind the formulas and knowing how to apply it.

So in a general sense you dont need deep mathematical knowledge. However, a good investment banker will have good mathe skills FYI.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
pretty sure you need at least 2u maths.

you have to know how to walk before you learn to run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)