• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you have trouble of finding a part-time job and accommondation? (1 Viewer)

jacksonchu

HSC
As an international student, I've spend weeks to find a part-time job and a appropriate accommondation(by appropriate, I mean clean, enough space, fully furnished, and mostly, proper price). And where do you guys find the job??
By the way, the rent of private accommondation have raised a bit, so commonly it will be 10$ more expensive / week than last year.:mad1:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jacksonchu said:
As an international student, I've spend weeks to find a part-time job and a appropriate accommondation(by appropriate, I mean clean, enough space, fully furnished, and mostly, proper price). And where do you guys find the job??
By the way, the rent of private accommondation have raised a bit, so commonly it will be 10$ more expensive / week than last year.:mad1:
What do you consider 'enough space' and what is the 'proper price'? Have you tried looking here: http://accommodation.uow.edu.au/about/accommodation/listing/search.shtml

jacksonchu

HSC
yes, I did check there and have seen several, they did not satisfied me....
I am looking for a room with comfortable study desk and chair, bed, wardrob and maybe a storage closet. price should be from 90 ~ 100.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I highly doubt you'd get a place fully furnished with all the things you're specifying. I'd be happy with the basics (fridge, washer, bed, etc). I find that things like study desks, prostitutes and chairs usually have to be bought by you, and then carted around if/when you move.

They're good things to have, anyway. For a decent fully furnished place in UOW you should be expecting to pay between $90 and $120 (shared).

And to answer your other question, the job market sucks hard. That said, don't be afraid to drop in your resume to places/fill out some applications - you never know unless you try. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that you'll be able to pick and choose what job you want.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
jacksonchu said:
And where do you guys find the job??
Wollongong + part time job = difficult. You're not the only one with difficulty finding a job, trust me.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Dude, I'm a local resident, I've been looking for 2 months, and I CAN'T FIND A JOB. Suffice to say, it's really hard in Wollongong. I know a few people who work in Sydney, because there's so few jobs for students down here.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Josie said:
Dude, I'm a local resident, I've been looking for 2 months, and I CAN'T FIND A JOB. Suffice to say, it's really hard in Wollongong. I know a few people who work in Sydney, because there's so few jobs for students down here.
Josie, we all know that you don't want a job and would rather spend the time playing videogames ;)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I'm not denying it. Doesn't mean I'm not trying to get a job though :p

jacksonchu

HSC
hfis said:
I highly doubt you'd get a place fully furnished with all the things you're specifying. I'd be happy with the basics (fridge, washer, bed, etc). I find that things like study desks, prostitutes and chairs
~~~~~~~ I'd like to know where to buy that.......

usually have to be bought by you, and then carted around if/when you move.

They're good things to have, anyway. For a decent fully furnished place in UOW you should be expecting to pay between $90 and $120 (shared).

And to answer your other question, the job market sucks hard. That said, don't be afraid to drop in your resume to places/fill out some applications - you never know unless you try. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that you'll be able to pick and choose what job you want.
hm.....

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
im moving out of my place so there is currently ads up, presumably on the notice boards, at UOW.
the room isnt furnished, but there is a wardrobe you could put in the room.
you have to bring your own bed and clothes and there might be a desk in the garage.
if not, theres a table and chair in the loungeroom that is rarely used.

look on all the notice boards around the campus. i like the one outside of the library.

and yeah, i snagged myself 4part time jobs last year.
all at seperate times, but yeah. its not THAT hard to find a job.
depending on your experiance and where you hand your resume in to etc.

also, read the mercury to let list thing everyday. theres nearly always adverts for share houses. some of them furnished.
or try real estates.
some have furnished bedsitters etc.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
its not too dificult to get get a job if you have experience in a certain industry
and it will pay to look for jobs before uni starts up as well, because if you dont you will find yourself up against an armada of job desperate youngins

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Jobs = impossible. I've tried for two years to get a job and nada.
As for fully furnished, there are decent places around if you look. My friend pays a hundred for fully furnished in a new unit, with brand new furniture, in the CBD. It's nice. ,You've chosen a bad time to start looking, theres a billion people wanting the same thing right now.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
yes it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a job in Wollongong. I regretted I went to this university because I have to rely on my parents completely until I graduate. :(

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
You know why it is- everyone who manages to get employed has TWO jobs.
So many of my friends have 2 jobs it's not funny. I mean come on, someone let me have one :(

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Josie said:
You know why it is- everyone who manages to get employed has TWO jobs.
So many of my friends have 2 jobs it's not funny. I mean come on, someone let me have one :(
sif have 2 jobs... 1 is enough for me.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Sif, do you really think I can afford to share the spoils of my job?

ok, don't answer that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)