Do you lose marks if you do extra working? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
For Q3b(ii), I got the remainder as being 3x-8 (which I now think is right) but at the time I wasn't sure and I took the working further and ended up with a different answer. When they mark the paper, will they give me full marks for what I did, or will I be deducted a mark because of my "extra" working?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
kimmeh said:
I think they stop marking once they reach the answer needed
So doesn't that mean that you could theoretically write down a load of working in the hope that you stumble across the right answer, and get full marks if you do?
But looking at it optimistically, I think I may have heard that somewhere before and I hope that is the way they mark :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I took the working further and ended up with a different answer... will I be deducted a mark because of my "extra" working?
From what I can infer you gave 2 solutions then = 1/2 marks.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i thought HSC markers don't give 1/2 marks?

scorpi0n

HSC
Jago said:
i thought HSC markers don't give 1/2 marks?
i think he means half of the total marks...ie, a 2 mark question = you'd get 1 mark

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Estel said:
From what I can infer you gave 2 solutions then = 1/2 marks.
I got to the answer of "3x-8", but then I wasn't sure if that was the answer so I subbed in a value of x=-3 into that, to get -17 (don't ask me why, it was stupid in hind sight). -17 was my final answer. Would that be considered two solutions?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Oh that's fine then (from what I've heard).

Anyhow, it's over, you'll find out how you really went when you get your mark back. Enjoy.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Estel said:
Oh that's fine then (from what I've heard).

Anyhow, it's over, you'll find out how you really went when you get your mark back. Enjoy.
I don't know about the "Enjoy" part, coz I really don't know whether it's going to be a Merry Christmas for me.

So do you reckon I could get 2/2 for that question?

BTW. What exactly made you choose "Estel" as a name...it sounds kind of feminine (or are you actually a girl?...but something tells me you're a male from the way you write - meh.)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I have a question, in the find the locus thing, I wrote down on the page:

y=-4a, x=whatever it is
i then found a in terms of y and proceeded to sub it in (yes I know this is wrong). Would I still get the marks because of the no marks lost for working past the answer thing?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
our maths teacher told us that if we do some working, cross it out (so it's still visible) and do more working, but if ur previous asnwer (crossed out) is right, they will still mark that and give u full marks for it, so i assume, that, even if u write stuff that isnt even relevant, u wont loose marks. thats what our teacher told us, ne-way

mishka

HSC
N/A
yeah you don't obliterate "stuffed up" answers, just line a diagonal line through it, and if they see you were on the "right track" they can award marks...

paganinio

HSC
if you specified which answer you FINALLY got, their marking would be based on that answer, if you didn't specify, they could choose any answer they liked(usually the answer you ended up with)
how do they know which part of your writing is 'extra' work, and which part isn't?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
I have a question, in the find the locus thing, I wrote down on the page:

y=-4a, x=whatever it is
i then found a in terms of y and proceeded to sub it in (yes I know this is wrong). Would I still get the marks because of the no marks lost for working past the answer thing?
I'm in a similar position to you.
I'm not sure whether markers stop when they reach the correct answer. I've heard somewhere that they ignore anything else, so if you get the right answer and then write irreleveant stuff afterwards then you still get full marks.....fingers crossed.

bhavo

its true. once u have enuff working for the marks, u get em. they dont bother to see the answer half the time, coz soo many things could contribute to an incorrect answer, e.g calc error etc.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
bhavo said:
its true. once u have enuff working for the marks, u get em. they dont bother to see the answer half the time, coz soo many things could contribute to an incorrect answer, e.g calc error etc.
Hhhmmm...
Does that mean that if you got the correct answer, but arrived at the answer the wrong way that you could possibly get full marks? Do the markers actually check through each step of working, or could you be lucky enough to get marks you technically don't deserve?

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hhhmmm...
Does that mean that if you got the correct answer, but arrived at the answer the wrong way that you could possibly get full marks? Do the markers actually check through each step of working, or could you be lucky enough to get marks you technically don't deserve?
They check the general working. If you obviosly fidged the answer and it doesn't look like you know what you're doing, they'll deduct some marks off you.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
VVoody said:
They check the general working. If you obviosly fidged the answer and it doesn't look like you know what you're doing, they'll deduct some marks off you.
I see.
Coz on Q3 in the Ext 1 paper, for the pontoon/wharf question I knew that the final answer should have been positive so I subbed in h=-1, as opposed to the correct method of subbing in dh/dt=-0.3, and instead let dh/dt=0.3. I still ended up with the right answer though...I wonder if I'd be lucky enough to get full marks... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)