Do you need Ext 1 English to get an atar of 99.8+? (1 Viewer)

cilliankatey

HSC
hello ^^
im currently in yr 11 and i am doing my hsc for maths and maths ext 1 this year so i might be doing ext 2 maths next year.

Subjects at the moment:
- english advanced
- english ext 1
- chem
- physics
- legal studies
- maths (HSC course)
- maths ext 1 (HSC course)

I was wondering if i need english ext 1 to get a high atar and if not, how high my ranking would need to be for advanced english (theres around 50 pple doing advanced course)

onedaysnotice

HSC
no you dont need EE1 to get a high atar, though doing good in it will be extremely beneficial. You should be aiming for at least top 3 in every subject to get that atar, unless your school is ranked like <20 at which case you'll get away with being like rank <40. Don't quote me on the last bit tho.

Last edited:

such_such

HSC
They're going to count the top 10 units.

If you do well in it, it will count. If you don't, then it won't be calculated towards your ATAR.

Advanced it very different to Extension and the only advantage of EE1 is that you get more experience writing and some concepts might overlap.

Basically, it all depends on your time and the amount for procrastination you do.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, you don't need it. But it's good to have because it's one of the better scaling subjects...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So many people get 99.95 with the Adv Eng, 4U Math, Chem, Physics road.

Honestly if you're going to do 4U Math you have like scaling sorted, MX1 and MX2 both scale like a boss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)