• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you need to ace all your midterms to get UAI>96 ? (1 Viewer)

tanman_008

HSC
Stressing out here :(
Has anyone else recovered from bombed out half yearlies to get >98 UAI ??
My school (Penrith High) finished our half yearlies and we got back all our results and I bombed out in half of them. Out of 6 tests, got high 80s in Eco and 2U Maths, low 80s in English and Mod. History, but bombed out in Maths 3U , Physics (>35%) . Do you have to get >90% in all your midterms and Trials? Cause right now seriously stressing that I've screwed up my UAI by the half yearly..... Any hints and tips??:(

simster4u

jebus dude...
i can feel your pain right now.

but half yearlies i'm presuming its the midcourse exams??

i had my first (business) think i did well... i'm sure english does NOT affect your UAI (midcourse only, unless ranking affects something..)
but ummm...

yes, "anyone else recovered from bombed out half yearlies to get >98 UAI ??"

untamedanimal

What you gotta be more worried about is the ranking you have in the class. Your marks can improve but your ranking will be hard to improve if they arent already up the top. Remember that school assesments are just to rank the students and the only thing that affects your HSC mark in terms of school based assesments is your ranking, not mark.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, things don't look good. However, I'll just repeat that school ranks are very important. And also, half your HSC is in the Exam. So considering the school ranks are far from finalised and you aren't in the Exam room anytime soon :p, it's not all that bad.

Winston

HSC
Yes just make sure the you know about how much your half yearlies exams weighted, generally it's 15 - 20 - 25 %

around that. Wouldn't kill you, most people really push themselves when the trials come, cause that's when you really finalise yourself :).

Affinity

HSC
You will need some 90s and some mid-high 80s.. (assuming your school's papers aren't too difficult.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i'm sure 96 is acheivable. i think it depends on how everyone else did in your grade. i mean, i remeber seeing kids getting like fails in their ext 1 maths and ext 2 maths and they came out with like low 90s if they were reasonable with their other subjects.

stamos

sellout
HSC
Originally posted by tanman_008
Stressing out here :(
Has anyone else recovered from bombed out half yearlies to get >98 UAI ??
My school (Penrith High) finished our half yearlies and we got back all our results and I bombed out in half of them. Out of 6 tests, got high 80s in Eco and 2U Maths, low 80s in English and Mod. History, but bombed out in Maths 3U , Physics (>35%) . Do you have to get >90% in all your midterms and Trials? Cause right now seriously stressing that I've screwed up my UAI by the half yearly..... Any hints and tips??:(
i got 74 in my cssa math trial and ended getting 94% hsc mark. yay me.

don't worry about marks at this stage- just understanding the course and having good rankings

luckyduck

but dont you need marks to get good ranks?
wel..! what if ur rank if bad doesnt that mean ur uai would be dragged down?

santaslayer

HSC
not 'dragged down' as such.......
the level of 'marks' u will need to get good ranks will purley depend on ur skools calibre and the standards of marking.
if ur rank is bad then u will be allocated less marks for ur internal assessment score (50%) by uac.

eg. rank 1= 98%
2 94%
3. 91%
4. 83%

blah blah

10. 70%

last= 42%

this is just an example to illustrate my point.
ur allocated score will also depend on the relative difference in marks between people..if marks are wide ranging then allocation of scores will reflect this.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
errm well i screwed up two assessments and i reckon that was half a UAI point gone right there. EVERY assessment affects your rank, and it is what matters in the end. you have to work a lot harder, and be extremely consistent to lessen the damage.
all of this is easier said than done, a lot of people take it for granted that their rank will miraculously go up after they study a lot for the trials, but the truth is, EVERYONE studies a lot for the trials.
errm. but if it's any consolation i managed >98
also i think you will find out english does and DEFINITELY WILL affect your uai

santaslayer

HSC
From my experience, the two polarised extremes of first and last ranks never really change, and if they do, only slightly. Most of the change occrs in the middle. It is not uncommon for people to move at least 10 places after the trials.

Affinity

HSC
Hmm.. Majority of the positions will stay the same.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hehe i hope so for most of my subjects :p

the trials are quite big in determining the changes in some of the rankings though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)