Do you need to know how a transistor works? (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I having trouble intrepreting the syllabus for this section, but do we need to actually know How A Transistor Works?

or is it ok to know everything else about transistors (development, implementation, impact) but not know how it works?

rama_v

HSC
I had a similar question posted up in another thread...I would learn it anyway but Im not sure, I think teh best thing to do is just to learn it and then ring up teh hsc advice line a few weeks b4 the hsc to clarify it.

helper

HSC
N/A
If you plan to email the board of studies, Gina Grant is the person you need to contact. The Science Inspector

helper

HSC
N/A
rama_v said:
I think teh best thing to do is just to learn it and then ring up teh hsc advice line a few weeks b4 the hsc to clarify it.
The advice line is normal teachers, who have nothing to do with the board of studies decisions. They make announcements based on their judgement not board decisions.

rama_v

HSC
helper said:
The advice line is normal teachers, who have nothing to do with the board of studies decisions. They make announcements based on their judgement not board decisions.
wow, I didnt know that, I mean i knew they were teachers but I thought they could refer to someone from the board with questions students ask...

DAAVE

HSC
I did the HSC last year, and if i can remember correctly, no you don't need to know how transistors or diodes work in any great detail. Just know what P and N type doping is...

tennille

HSC
These are the syllabus dot points:

# gather, process and present secondary information to discuss how shortcomings in available communication technology lead to an increased knowledge of the properties of materials with particular reference to the invention of the transistor.

It doesn't specifically state "explain how a transistor works". My interpretation of this dot point is to mention where transistors are used and how they are better than those valve thingos (i forgot what they're called).

# identify data sources, gather, process, analyse information and use available evidence to assess the impact of the invention of transistors on society with particular reference to their use in microchips and microprocessors.

For this, you have to mention the good and bad impacts (bad might be problems with it) on society. I think you need to know what a microchip/microprocessor so you can justify your assessment of the transistor. Still, I don't think you have to know the transistor in great depth.

Haku

thanks for that clarification.

but whats a bad impact of transistors?
and in relation to microchips, is it that on a silicon waffer there could be millions of transistors thus making things smaller and stuff?

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I actually got a response from the board of studies, but I can't seem to find the exact email to copy and paste.

But basically it said, to fully understand the dot point below:
• Describe differences between solid state and thermionic devices and discuss why solid state devices replaced thermionic devices

we should have a basic understanding of how a thermionic device works and how a transistor or solid state device works in order to compare the differences.

it wasn't Gina Grant, but another Science person.

So I guess we do need a basic understanding of how it works :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)