Do you need to memorise the exceptions to the octet rule? (1 Viewer)

ilovemangos

HSC
I've been researching a bit and it seems like there are endless exceptions to the octet rule and random stuff like how beryllium can form covalent compounds. Should I remember these because it seems to be assessed sometimes. Thanks!

Last edited:

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
I've been researching a bit and it seems like there are endless exceptions to octet and random stuff like how beryllium can form covalent compounds. Should I remember these because it seems to be assessed sometimes. Thanks!
I have never heard of this in my life

What's an example question???

ilovemangos

HSC
I have never heard of this in my life

What's an example question???
Sorry i made a typo, its supposed to be the octet rule. I guess one of the questions they can ask would be drawing the lewis dot diagram for nitric oxide or something which has an unpaired electron.

There's also Boron which forms 3 covalent bonds, ending up with an incomplete valence shell.

I think I'll just try remember some of the common exceptions

Attachments

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Sorry i made a typo, its supposed to be the octet rule. I guess one of the questions they can ask would be drawing the lewis dot diagram for nitric oxide or something which has an unpaired electron.

There's also Boron which forms 3 covalent bonds, ending up with an incomplete valence shell.

I think I'll just try remember some of the common exceptions
I didn't think they ask us this?? Has it come up in an exam??

ilovemangos

HSC
Well it was assigned as homework to find the lewis dot structure of NO so I was a bit confused. And the covalent bonding between a metal and nonmetal has definitely come up in exams. Thank you for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)