Do you recomend on exchange? (1 Viewer)

vandango

HSC
Do you recomend going on exchange?

I am thinking of going on exchange to the USA next year as a gap year, just wanted to know if you have been on exhange do you think it was worth it? I really would like to go just wanted to get your thoughts on it.

But the other problem of course is paying for it.

Last edited:

Andi0390

HSC
I have never been on exchange but I am thinking about it as well. A lot of people have recommended it to me. "Worth it" is a somewhat strange term. I imagine you mean sort of time/money wise. If you go to US chances are your living costs will not be much higher than here so you shouldn't be spending much on day to day. You do not pay tuition fees besides HECS, so really most of what you will be paying is airfare, which isn't much, especially considering many people go on holidays.

Also, many universities give a scholarship to all exchange students, and there is a loan called OS - HELP which is somewhat similar to HECS in the way it is managed, that is used for exchange students. That can help with fees.

Hope some of that is hopeful.

vandango

HSC
how about funding anyone know how to get some money quick like heaps?

Andi0390

HSC
Well work.

Most exchange placements and application take about a year so its not like you are running out of time. Scholarship, loan, parents.

Peartie

HSC
are you wanting to do a uni exchange?

or is this just to work OS

or a year 13

or just travel?

I assumed that you were wanting to do a uni one because of where this thread is - in which case you WONT be going in Jan 2010.....

that being said - to get the money ask parents for ur birthday present to be moeny, work work work, get a loan if you have to, line up a job in the US (if it isnt for uni) where you will get food/accommodation and some money..... lots of ways to get the money

vandango

HSC
are you wanting to do a uni exchange?

or is this just to work OS

or a year 13

or just travel?

I assumed that you were wanting to do a uni one because of where this thread is - in which case you WONT be going in Jan 2010.....

that being said - to get the money ask parents for ur birthday present to be moeny, work work work, get a loan if you have to, line up a job in the US (if it isnt for uni) where you will get food/accommodation and some money..... lots of ways to get the money
I would like to do a year 13, i was looking at Education Firsts website and while your over there you can go on "discovery tours" where you get to travel around etc. I would be great doing that as you'll make new friends over there and you'll know people if you go back.

Or purhaps work in the snow, or camp america.

Peartie

HSC
well if you do a year 13 your food/accomodation is covered (assuming like most year 13s they put you with a host family) and they will (generally) also take you places...meaning money isnt AS much of an issue (although it is of course still an issue)....

just get a job now and as soon as the HSC is finished work for every day and get as much as you possibly can before you leave...

likingtherain

HSC
N/A
I think it all depends on what you want to get out of it and how much you have travelled before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)