Do you think climate change is real, and man made? (1 Viewer)

Is climate change real, and is it man made?

• Total voters

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Happening, and human-lizard bilderbergs are contributing

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
The 'right' side of Politics columnists and letter writers to newspapers are a joke how they claim that climate change is a Greens/New World order/'other nutjob theory' conspiracy theory.

Do I think humans have an effect on climate change? Absolutely. However, how big or small that effect is remains questionable when you consider only 3% of the Earth's carbon emissions are from Human induced activity (the remaining is from natural process, volcanic eruptions etc).

There are tens of thousands of scientists worldwide who support human induced climate change and in my opinion, these scientists are a heck of a lot more qualified than myself or the climate change deniers/denialists out there. There are a lot more credible scientists supporting climate change theory than going agaisnt it. In the end it comes down to the 'Precautionary Principle', if climate change is human induced and we do nothing to combat it the effects will be devastating. if climate change is not human induced, reducing our carbon footprint is still a good thing.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Climate change is so complex and nebulous. If you see a man on a street, you can quite easily tell if he is President Obama or not. If you are confronted by climate change, can you recognise it?

Ihere is a local suburban paper here in Eastwood (TWT - The Weekly Times) that is always rubbishing the climate change idea. I myself don't know enough to say whether or not there is although I'm inclined to think we are screwing up the planet. But what scientific background or concrete evidence does its editor (Booth) have to posit that there is none.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Climate change is so complex and nebulous. If you see a man on a street, you can quite easily tell if he is President Obama or not. If you are confronted by climate change, can you recognise it?

Ihere is a local suburban paper here in Eastwood (TWT - The Weekly Times) that is always rubbishing the climate change idea. I myself don't know enough to say whether or not there is although I'm inclined to think we are screwing up the planet. But what scientific background or concrete evidence does its editor (Booth) have to posit that there is none.
This is what annoys me the most, people publishing/spruiking one way or the other when they are not really trained enough to understand the dynamics of it.

I.e. Piers Akerman/Andrew Bolt, two newspaper columnists ('columnists' are allowed to publish what they like without factual proof as they are opinion pieces, unlike reporters) really irk me for denying cliamte change with the most ridicilous rubbish always. Likewise, Bob Brown, the politician spruiks the opposite and does not have environmental science training either (although he does have some in the form of medical training at least). Scientists need to play a bigger role and have more of the focus on what they are saying, not what some politician or reporter is saying.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
I have been listening to talkback radio, they have a climate change bashing night every couple of weeks.

Usually starts with the host stating that climate change is false. Then a series of old people ring up and recount anecdotes about storms or droughts when they were little kids, which further disproves climate change.

Then the host smugly confirms that it is part of a natural cycle. If someone disagrees they get muted straight away.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
The same man that charges one a 14 pound "fee for the service of checking-in online", although when you fail to check-in online you are charged forty pounds "for the service of checking-in at the airport." He is a bastion of common sense and someone I listen to regularly for opinions on climate computer modeling. Was sort of funny though.

This is what annoys me the most, people publishing/spruiking one way or the other when they are not really trained enough to understand the dynamics of it.

I.e. Piers Akerman/Andrew Bolt, two newspaper columnists ('columnists' are allowed to publish what they like without factual proof as they are opinion pieces, unlike reporters) really irk me for denying cliamte change with the most ridicilous rubbish always. Likewise, Bob Brown, the politician spruiks the opposite and does not have environmental science training either (although he does have some in the form of medical training at least). Scientists need to play a bigger role and have more of the focus on what they are saying, not what some politician or reporter is saying.
Same. I mean I don't know very much about it apart from taking geography/environmental science type subjects at high school, but it doesn't mean I think I have the knowledge to write a blog denying its existence and describing the proponents of its existence as people who want a world government.

The Australian is also exceedingly annoying on this issue. They'll devote a huge spread to one scientist making some bizarre connection with sun spots making last Wednesday colder than the Wednesday that time last year but then give ten lines of print to announcement by a revered and peer-reviewed longitudinal study supporting the case for man made climate change. Slight exaggeration but, very slightly.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
The unAustralian really annoys me as well. It does not provide balanced reporting at all, rather everything has a right wing spin to it, especially with regards to the environment/climate change and the NBN etc.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
You'd have to be stupid to deny something is happening right now. You don't need to look much further than this summer to be honest. Whether its a natural cycle, or climate change - I don't know. Same goes for whether its caused by humans or nature - I don't know.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
The unAustralian really annoys me as well. It does not provide balanced reporting at all, rather everything has a right wing spin to it, especially with regards to the environment/climate change and the NBN etc.
I would say that their reporting is balanced at least, half the time... It certainly has the most thorough reporting of national politics and issues out of any papers, by far. It is the best-resourced and the most committed to actually reporting news.

But yeah on the environment/NBN the reports are skewed and they are anti-Labor. Liberals say that the front page is their most effective weapon come election time. Ironically they devote a lot of print space to accusing the ABC and most of the other centre-left newspapers in the world of bias. Defensive much.
And Greg Sheridan is so vehemently pro-Israel that it's very rare to find any objective, sensical, interesting analysis on the issue anywhere in the paper.

But back to climate change.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
One volcanic eruption produces more pollution than man has since the dawn of time.

Climate change is inevitable because our poles move/axis etc. So eventually certain parts of the world will have a different climate. Lets not forget the plates move (slowly). The climates always been changing and it always will and yes we contribute to a small degree.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
meteorology =/= climatology

the safe response is that anthropogenic global warming is occurring

as to its precise effects and impact, no one can categorically say
Melting glaciers and polar ice caps, coupled with the thermal expansion of the ocean, causes sea levels to rise, misplaces those in low-lying coastal areas, in turn causing social and economic impacts with large numbers of refugees. Increased extreme weather events including cyclones, hurricanes, snowstorms, droughts and bushfires etc etc. Aren't the precise effects fairly easy to deduce?

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
If sea levels rise and the planet cools. Yay the world is killing off people! I endorse this.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
so about 70% of bosers think climate change is real & man made

carbon tax: discuss?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)