Do you think it's possible to get a 95 ATAR? (1 Viewer)

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
I just finished Year 11 with a predicted ATAR of 87.00 (Yeah I know, it's not too great 😔). I am hoping to do B Commerce/B Economics at UNSW or B Commerce/B Advanced Studies at USYD. Here are my marks for Year 11:

English Advanced: 76 (Rank 16/98)
Math Advanced: 61 (Most likely going to General) (Rank 67/99)
Business Studies: 97 (Rank 3/58)
Legal Studies: 87 (Rank 7/37)
PDH/PE: 81 (Rank 14/32)
Biology: 82 (Rank 36/68)

From previous experience, do you guys think if I am able to set a complete study timetable to focus on areas which I am particularly weak at, this will ultimately allow me to excel and achieve my goal of 95?

Thanks

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
I just finished Year 11 with a predicted ATAR of 87.00 (Yeah I know, it's not too great 😔). I am hoping to do B Commerce/B Economics at UNSW or B Commerce/B Advanced Studies at USYD. Here are my marks for Year 11:

From previous experience, do you guys think if I am able to set a complete study timetable to focus on areas which I am particularly weak at, this will ultimately allow me to excel and achieve my goal of 95?

Thanks
Definitely, at the end of year 11 my atar prediction was much below yours and I did get a 95+ atar.

Everyone steps their game up in year 12. It's natural and you will too, but yes you can definitely excel and get that 95+

Also keep in mind, your marks get aligned in the HSC, so you may have just inputted your final averages but this is not always accurate. For example in 4u maths someone might put 70 in the HSC calculator because it was their final mark, but in the HSC this gets aligned to a band 6.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

Thanks
There's no reason you can't improve. Just have to put in the time and effort. These estimates are probably there from your school to motivate people to keep studying hard. Focus most on the maths and biology as these seem like your weaknesses and you can increase your potential ATAR. Personally, starting year 10 I was hoping for maybe a 92-94. That increased end of year 11 to wanting a 97+ and then year 12 I got a 99+ so just have to increase consistency with studying and you should get there

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Hey guys,

Thanks
I wouldn't go to general. Just try and improve, you're only just starting Year 12

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't go to general. Just try and improve, you're only just starting Year 12
You think?, cause I literally failed Cal and Logs in Prelims. They aren't included in the General course, so I can have a really strong basis

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
You think?, cause I literally failed Cal and Logs in Prelims. They aren't included in the General course, so I can have a really strong basis
I would consider a tutor if you don't have one already if you want to stay in 2 unit if you can afford it. But make sure when you look for one that you ask them specific questions, like what type of homework they give and how the lessons are run etc. If you find someone who gives you exam related material and works with you step by step you will probably improve a lot

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
I would consider a tutor if you don't have one already if you want to stay in 2 unit if you can afford it. But make sure when you look for one that you ask them specific questions, like what type of homework they give and how the lessons are run etc. If you find someone who gives you exam related material and works with you step by step you will probably improve a lot
Money isn't the issue, time is

Cause I don't want to be going tutoring then spending hours on end just doing the 2U course and then getting a B4-5 at the end of the day. Which, takes time out of other subjects which have a good average such as Business & Legal etc. Which can ultimately, bring down their averages and just lead to a lower ATAR. I feel like with the 2U Course, if you are not in the substantial habit of doing Maths everyday it'll cause a lot of issues as you are not familiar or prepared with the content. Cause I have 8-10 other units I want to do well in, it's hard just to divert my focus on Math and not being able to achieve a B6, as if I spend similar amount of time on other subjects I can get a B6. Obviously, I'll try the 2U Course again and then drop after Week 2 or 3 (if needed).

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
Don't drop maths advanced and pick up general. Most 95+ UNI courses expect you to do extension 1 (advanced is still alright but general is definitely not). If you work hard, I'm sure you can do it. Do the same with english and you're looking at 95+ !

Mememeist3r

HSC
Don't drop maths advanced and pick up general. Most 95+ UNI courses expect you to do extension 1 (advanced is still alright but general is definitely not). If you work hard, I'm sure you can do it. Do the same with english and you're looking at 95+ !
^
This. By doing General, you're limiting a lot of your options at Uni. Stick to Advanced and work at it in the holidays. Focus on what you "failed" at (i.e. Calculus and Logs) and work at those questions to get a grip on those topics. It's important to focus on weaknesses first and thus strengthen your overall knowledge base. If unsure, talk to your friends and teachers, I'm sure they're keen to help out. Focus in on your weaknesses, hone your strengths and I'm sure you'll get a 95+ ATAR.

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Money isn't the issue, time is

Cause I don't want to be going tutoring then spending hours on end just doing the 2U course and then getting a B4-5 at the end of the day. Which, takes time out of other subjects which have a good average such as Business & Legal etc. Which can ultimately, bring down their averages and just lead to a lower ATAR. I feel like with the 2U Course, if you are not in the substantial habit of doing Maths everyday it'll cause a lot of issues as you are not familiar or prepared with the content. Cause I have 8-10 other units I want to do well in, it's hard just to divert my focus on Math and not being able to achieve a B6, as if I spend similar amount of time on other subjects I can get a B6. Obviously, I'll try the 2U Course again and then drop after Week 2 or 3 (if needed).
I think you can do it if you apply yourself and manage your time. If you already know for sure what Uni degree you want to get into and if it doesn't need Math, then sure, dropping to general wouldn't be that bad of an idea. But like the guy above said, if you go to general you are limiting yourself in terms of options at Uni. Also, if you drop to general, you'll want to aim for an 85 - 90 overall in the subject so you're not scaled harshly, whereas in Advanced if you achieve at least an 80, maintain your other marks, possibly improve your Biology rank or maintain, and improve your PDHPE up to a high 80's or 90, I'm sure you can achieve a 95 ATAR. And if you're aiming on studying economics, keeping Advanced Math might help you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)