Do you think rodeos should be banned? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Yes, especially the horse rodeos. They put the girth in the wrong place to make the horse buck which hurts the horse. :(

davin

HSC
N/A
info to go with it, perhaps? as to the arguement of why rodeos as a whole or in parts should be banned?

jesscookie

HSC
its really just personal opinion, most people who think that rodeos should be banned have never been to one, and simply do not understand the goings on. they then form their opinion on hearsay and think 'rodeos are cruel'. what is your opinion davin?
i have been a part of many rodeos, and i know that all the animals are treated much better than they would be if they were simply farm stock. Their owners are not going to maltreat an animal that brings in cash, and is a good friend.

davin

HSC
N/A
generally speaking, though i've only been to one, i've not got an issue with it, in particular. i'm just not terribly familiar with it, so i'd not say i'm 100% behind it, just cuz its not something i know about.
It does strike me though, off that first article, that their rationale against rodeos could easliy count recreational horseback riding as well

jesscookie

HSC
davin said:
generally speaking, though i've only been to one, i've not got an issue with it, in particular. i'm just not terribly familiar with it, so i'd not say i'm 100% behind it, just cuz its not something i know about.
It does strike me though, off that first article, that their rationale against rodeos could easliy count recreational horseback riding as well
this is true, my cousin is the head inspector for RSPCA western nsw, she has told me that many many RSPCA members are against any activity with horses other than watching them graze in a paddock.
there has been a few incidents when accidents have happened, and the animals have needed to be shot behind a hessian cover and loadered out, and this is the law. But some people have a problem with this! i'd like to know what their alternative is

HSC
Um...stop the rodeos.

To make a horse buck, the girth is put on the wrong position on the horses stomach. This restricts the horses breathing and causes the horse to buck and to try to dislodge the rider and the saddle. It's unecessarily cruel.

I don't see the point of rodeos anyway.

jesscookie

HSC
those horses and bulls are trained to be saddle broncs and buck jumpers and whatnot. 8 seconds of being uncomfortable is really worth the great life they have in return, most (i know not all) horses and bulls have their every veterinary need attended to, because they are worth so much money.
Rodeos are an essential part of rural community life, they bring together like minded people from an area, similar to a political rally.

davin

HSC
N/A
I don't see the point of rodeos anyway.
I don't see the point of having pets, as you're taking animals, putting constraints on them, and they're often, often mistreated. So should no one be allowed to have pets of any fashion because some see no point in having pets?

G

Gavvvvvin

jesscookie said:
Rodeos are an essential part of rural community life, they bring together like minded people from an area, similar to a political rally.
Fucken hillbillys.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
no. they are part of the respective cultures.

what about horse racing, grey hound racing, etc. to an extent they are all exploitation of animals for human enojoyment.

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Rodeos are cruel to people, because they're shit boring. Killing animals would liven it up a bit though... they should do that.

davin

HSC
N/A
isn't that a bullfight at that point?

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Question: Are rodeos cruel?

Answer: Of course they are, what kind of an idiot would say otherwise?

Lol...anyway seriously though, you were going fine until you said that rodeos are an essential part of rural life. This obviously means that regardless of whether rodeos are cruel, they will continue. That doesn't exactly suggest that the well being of the animals is all that improtant to those people.

davin

HSC
N/A
the arguement for "of course they are" being?

jesscookie

HSC
Benny1103 said:
Lol...anyway seriously though, you were going fine until you said that rodeos are an essential part of rural life. This obviously means that regardless of whether rodeos are cruel, they will continue. That doesn't exactly suggest that the well being of the animals is all that improtant to those people.
i accept that not everyone shares my views, but i cant help but notice that you are from melbourne, which i know doesnt have much of a rural atmosphere. Rodeos are not simply the broncs and bulls, there are other events such as the barrel races, breakaway roping, cutting, and team penning etc. a beast today will bring in $600 for the farmer, they arent going to volunteer their animal for a rodeo if it will become ill or injured (yes, there is always a chance). (I see there that you are trying to say that a rodeo horse is not important to its owner? if you have ever owned a horse, i think you would see the stupidity in that statement.

A rodeo is a way for stockmen and women to show the skills that are needed on the everyday running of a farm. It's not simply, 'hey lets see who can rope a calf, or stay on an angry horse!' All the events in a rodeo have stemmed from skills that are required of a good stock handler.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
did anyone see that news story of the bull breaking his back in one of those shows, and it was only 4 hours later that they put him to sleep. 4 hours of agony for the bull. tsk tsk

jesscookie

HSC
SashatheMan said:
did anyone see that news story of the bull breaking his back in one of those shows, and it was only 4 hours later that they put him to sleep. 4 hours of agony for the bull. tsk tsk
yes i did hear about this, it happened in Tasmania. It really si worthy of being made an example of .

The bull broke its back as soon as it came out of the gate, it's back quarters were paralyzed. The rule is that a hessian wall must be put up around the injured animal, humanely slaughtered and removed with a loader. This poor animal however was hunted to the back yards, dragging its legs, and had to wait til the end of the rodeo before it was loaded onto a truck, then shot.

[opinion]this is a bad example of rodeo and animal handling, and will influence some peoples ideas of rodeo, and so it should. But the entire industry should not be punished for one slip. [/opinion]

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I've been to plenty of rodeos and I know people who provide the stock for rodeos and who ride in rodeos. I haven't really seen anything that makes me think it is more cruel than horse racing etc. Personally I remember someone who has ridden in rodeos, who worked as a jackeroo and taught himself to ride a horse etc, that dressage was far more cruel to an animal than a rodeo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)