Do you think the average Australian hates America/ns and if so why? (1 Viewer)

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
This has kind of puzzled me for a long while, especially since most people who rant about Americans also eat up American pop culture.

K

katie_tully

who gives a shit. i dont care about america, i dont care what the average australian thinks of america either.

Scanorama

HSC
I have no problem with Americans, most of them are nice people. It is just their government really pissing me off.

AGB

HSC
i think the average australian likes america/americans...

its only the very vocal left who rant and rave about how bad americans are, but the only people who care about what they say are themselves..

the average australian isn't very vocal about it at all (probably because they dont give it all that much thought), but i think if a choice arose between pro-america and anti-america, the majority would be for the former

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Are you kidding? We love America. Sure, the bible belt and all that biz are a bit of a worry, but the IDEA of America is so powerful and good...I mean I saw Clinton on Oprah today and he was great. Hot damn boy....maybe it's a subliminal racism/fear of asia etc. Who's to say....I for one still bear the scars of Kerry's defeat....*teary eyed solemn star into middle distance followed by half salute, military leg turn and stiff march towards a prime view of the white house at sunrise, with essential anthem playing in background and perhaps some words like 'liberty' flashing across the scene*

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
I have no problem with Americans, most of them are nice people. It is just their government really pissing me off.
*sigh* yes.... isnt that always the way

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Generally, i dont find Americans to be nice. Theyre mainly blindly patriotic gimps, whose national "ideals" tend to reflect an image as opposed to reality.

Jiga

I h8 Americans and their govt

I remember my dad told a story once that when he was holidaying in some island country their luggage had to be carried through the water, the native ppl did it for every1 but the americans.....because they are extremely arogant.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
People just get annoyed with the constant American crap on TV

Oh yeah, and for some reason all their presidents seem to speak real slow and sound docile.

And some people resent the influx of American culture and the use of Americanisms.

I've heard this directly or indirectly from lots of people and one of them must be an average Australian.

Generator

HSC
N/A
We all know a story or two concerning the stupidity of the Yanks in general... My grandfather often recalled the time that his ship (a RAN destroyer) was shot at by a US naval cruiser (I cannot remember the class) during a period of action in the Korean War.

What is anti-American? Is proposing a more independent foreign policy direction anti-american? (just an example)... Some people may not agree with the actions and the beliefs of the current administration, but that does not necessarily mean that they are anti-american. I have to agree with Iron Woman in that the idea of America is something that cannot just be dismissed as a global injustice given its power (I tend to agree with the idea of it being good, too), but there is a difference between criticising the idea itself and the way that it is disseminated/applied/interpretated by today's USA.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Wow, I didnt expect such ignorance so suddenly.

Comrade nathan

HSC
I think that originally there was a culture clash.

Alot of older people thought they yanks to be fools and have cheap culture. While ours being more rich, that is less commercialized. This was very evident to.

Now with globalism expanding, culture clash is reducing, and with Free Trade, the terrioist scare tactics are bringing people over to the american side. Espically the youth like in the 60's.

firehose

HSC
we would resent Americans for two reasons because:

- we speak the same language but live a different culture. It's like comparing Aussie Rules to Gridiron. We find so many of the things they do just so "American", implying that it is too Yankee for us, should be avoided and instead therefore go for something more Aussie. What steams up this more is that so much of our own culture is being bombarded with American culture. A McDonalds store is ever around the corner. TV is saturated with US imports. Stuff we buy at the supermarket originates in America (and even those 'Australian' ones such as Arnotts and Aeroplane are US owned). because we see US stuff taking over our lives, we are patriotically outraged, but at the same time we cannot help it because often their good products can be efficient, cheap, convinient and even great.

- their government and all of that star-spangled carry-on. the opinion we may have on their government tends to mean we think the same of the people.

but however much we may hate them, we're with them for the long haul, not only politically but economically as well. i think most, if not all of us would not want to see the Australia-US alliance go away either. just maybe not as strong.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
I dont hate America, but i do hate some of the things they do, the friggin arseclowns!

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
its hard to speak for all australians
as much as i know people who hate america and americans ..i know just as many who love it..
and australians are multicultural
so many cultures and nationalitys that make up australians...therefore so many people that would hate them..say if..
like if they bombed their previous country or ancestors etc
or they came here to escape war and shit..that america wa sinvolved in or the cause of
etc..

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I love liberal Americans, who have the insight to see beyond blind patriotism and see what is best for their country.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think that we have to step back here and ask who the average australian is.

Those on the right of the political spectrum and 'aussie battlers' tend to embrace America, evrything the american government does and american culture (more particularly that of the south).

Our aspirational class eg Hills District embraces the idea of a bible belt in the form of the hillsong churches and generally support american government however tut-tut aspects of american culture whilst embracing all that is politically/religously acceptable to them.

As we move toward the centre of the spectrum we find people who do not support american government policy especially foriegn policy but do embrace americans and american culture.

Moving leftwards support for american government declines further and embracing of americans and american culture declines at roughly the same rate (however it did start at a higher base acceptance level at the centre).

Personally I dispise pretty much all american government policy and a good number of the participants in american politics. I accept aspects of american culture. And I like some o0f the american people. This is based generally around the political beliefs they hold in that as a general rule I do not like southerners yet do like the residents of the north end of the east coast and some of those from the south end of the west coast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)