Do you think this would be a good idea? (1 Viewer)

RIZAL

HSC
I think it would be cool if everyone posted there economics essays not only on BoS but here as well so we can mark them. That way we know what a crappy essay/good essay is. Anyway here is one that I just did (it's short because it was a simulation exam essay - probably around 3 A4 pages or something).

topic is the International Business Cycle and its effect on domestic economic performance and policy settings.

Attachments

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The idea has merit, but i'm afraid it would be open to blatant plagarism...I mean, how would u feel if u put all the hard work into creating a beautiful essay, only to have some other person steal it off here, memorise it, and get basically the same mark as u for it in the HSC? (i kno u dun get to kno indivdual essay marks, but u catch my drift)

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Isaac Reyes
I think it would be cool if everyone posted there economics essays
I think its a good idea.

And when I get a chance I'll read your essay :)

Originally posted by MinAi
some other person steal it off here, memorise it, and get basically the same mark as u for it in the HSC?
We dont know what question we are going to get for the HSC so you'd have to be able to memorise lots of different essays, and the people that mostly plagarise for assignments and stuff are lazy so I dont even reckon they would bother doing that.

But yeah MinAi I can see your point

kaseita

it's not too hard to guess what the questions going to be
they're usually quite broad, and the essays always stick to one topic. I forgot which ones though.
yea but still, you'll get lazy guys who will just try and copy it. but if you don't mind, its still a good idea to get some criticism, to improve yourself anyway.
um, well I read the essay, and the only reason I registered was cause I wanted to say something :p.
won't stop me from posting though!

but anyway, the main thing that essay's lacking is a bit of...force I guess. I mainly read the intro, and skimmed through the rest, but the logic and argument's not strong. you're mainly just putting down facts, or statements, but not really giving a line of argument. its kind of there, but its not strong. and cause economics relies so much on logic, you need alot of logic in the essay, and moving onto tangents, to get the best marks.
that's my opinion anyway. hopefully it helps...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with kaseita, the essay is too...i dunno.. factual i guess
try to avoid moving onto different topics without linking them. Better essays have integrated and logical arguments, for example, where u had the growth/unemp/inflation bit, try to add how changes in economic growth affect unemployment and inflation, and vice versa, rather than being ambigious about it

and yeah, Economics essay questions are fairly predictable..even short answers are predictable, based on last yr's paper....but who know's how much they've changed it for this yr..yet they cant exactly deviate from asking question from the syllabus (if u read the syllabus, some extended response questions are directly derived from it, word for word)

nicole2511

everyone's so nasty...

i havent read the essay yet, but there are a couple of things that kinda struck me..

*the dot points- i dont think its a good idea to use bullet points in an essay unless you are running out of time

* the length- its a bit unrealistic to believe that youre going to get through a 1300word essay in 40 mins.. try 900 words

*the titles- i dunno if theyre just for you to help you study, but i dont think essays have headings- unless they ask for a report is suppose

and i think that yes, essay questions are predictable, but you can predict 30 or so questions from the syllabus- are you going to write/prepare/learn an essay for each?? just to write two?

the great one

i just skimmed through your essay and there is no way in hell that you are going to reproduce anything even half as good as that in the exam. That essay is more like an assignment than an essay done under exam conditions. Try doing essays without the textbook. Anyway we are probably going to be tested on globalisation and policy desicions so know macro, mircro, supply sid, and protection

sif not 99

nicole

its not unreasonable to expect to get through a 1300 word essay because any half decent economics student will have AT LEAST 50 mins per essay, if not more....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah exactly, its not gonna take u 35 mins for multiple choice now is it? if u can get it done in say..20 mins max, jus think of how much more essay u can write in that extra 15 mins

i dont think its too much to expect a general microeconomics essay this yr...since last yr it was more leaned towards macro policies (external stability and growth)

RIZAL

HSC
lala

thanks for the constructive criticism. it helped. I think I might go study a bit more now :)

as for not being able to write that much in 40 minutes? What are you smoking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)