Do you think you are screwed in the HSC? (1 Viewer)

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
sweetsweetcandy said:
Mmhm I think I'm majorly screwed for the HSC. It seems no matter how hard I try (though I must say that's not very hard) I never get marks I'm happy with.
No offence, because I don't know you, and I don't know how much you try to get good marks, but it just sounds to me like you aren't doing as much as you can.
I have heaps of friends who bag me out for studying alot, but when they get out of exams, or get their marks back, they get all upset about their marks. It kinda shits me off because they don't try that hard to get good marks but complain anyway. I, on the other hand, have been working my butt off (until post-trials anyway), and getting the crappiest marks ever.
It is when you really try, that you earn the right to complain. And after trying, and trying, and failing and failing, I think I have earned it. So...
Kill me now, I'm screwed.
P.S The point to this post was to basically vent, see if anyone else feels the same, and to stop people complaining about their marks when they haven't even put the right effort in.
BTW, sweetsweetcandy, this was not directed at you. If you feel that way, sorry, but if you can not try that hard and still get a UAI of 93, then congratulations and good luck to you.

HSC
the only thing that shits me is my friend who studys day and night and whenever she sees me she starts going on about how hard the hsc is and that i need to study and that whoever hasnt studyd since the begining of da year isnt going to get good marks ...then she goes on about how how many months days hours minutes until the hsc exams starts...

M3r0N

HSC
im screwed big big time, i've failed almost everting 4 da trials....................but hey it not da end of da world IF im screwed...... therez always alternative ways to get 2 uni... right?????soooo yea stay cooolll

Just James

Veteran Member
HSC
Ok it's time to reassure. It's not like I'm a parent telling my kids what it was like in my day, I'm only a year older than you guys. I did the HSC last year. Everyone thinks it will be harder than what it actually turns out to be. Don't use this as an excuse to underestimate the HSC, instead allow yourself to calm down. Even if you don't achieve the UAI you think you'll need, you'd be surprised at just how many different pathways are available into the same course. When I say pathways I don't mean a long, grueling pathway that will take 5 years to traverse. At MOST, the alternative pathway only adds a year to your degree. It usually gives you time to investigate other degrees. I got 96.60 last year and got my first preference (Elec Eng/Biomed Eng). But I didn't like it at all. I would have much rather have missed the UAI cutoff and done the flexible first year engineering program in order to see what the other engineering degrees were like. Now I'm doing Chem Eng/Biomed Eng and I'm happy, but it doesn't change the fact that I had a rotten first semester all because my UAI was too high and because I chose my first preference without giving it much thought.

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
No offence, because I don't know you, and I don't know how much you try to get good marks, but it just sounds to me like you aren't doing as much as you can.
Feel free to offend me :p I know very well I'm not doing as much as I can and deserve to get kicked for it. But I will say in my defence that I definitely do NOT complain about it to my friends. The most I say is "I didn't do so great so stop telling me your 91% is a fail". With me, it's kind of the opposite. Everyone thinks I work my butt off (must be the vibe I give off. Don't know?), when in fact I'm incredibly lazy.

But it's not that I don't work at all. I'll say I'm a decent student. Teachers like me because I do the work they assign and I do my notes. I just...don't...study them as much as I should. That's what I meant. I don't make enough of an effort to insert information into my brain, because it's boring to me.

Anyway, it's true there are other pathways to get into university/course you want and yadda yadda UAI doesn't mean anything. But it will still feel crappy if you don't get your aim. I guess I'll try my best for the HSC. There's still another 50% to go as the principal reminded us today! -_-

Just James

Veteran Member
HSC
sweetsweetcandy said:
Feel free to offend me :p I know very well I'm not doing as much as I can and deserve to get kicked for it. But I will say in my defence that I definitely do NOT complain about it to my friends. The most I say is "I didn't do so great so stop telling me your 91% is a fail". With me, it's kind of the opposite. Everyone thinks I work my butt off (must be the vibe I give off. Don't know?), when in fact I'm incredibly lazy.

But it's not that I don't work at all. I'll say I'm a decent student. Teachers like me because I do the work they assign and I do my notes. I just...don't...study them as much as I should. That's what I meant. I don't make enough of an effort to insert information into my brain, because it's boring to me.

Anyway, it's true there are other pathways to get into university/course you want and yadda yadda UAI doesn't mean anything. But it will still feel crappy if you don't get your aim. I guess I'll try my best for the HSC. There's still another 50% to go as the principal reminded us today! -_-
That's right. I can guarantee that 99% of students don't do as much as they can. I could have done better if I had tried, but I couldn't have been bothered. I could've done much less as a matter of fact. I didn't allow myself to enjoy year 12 as much as I should've. Having a life is more important than burying yourself behind a textbook. There are some people who get 99 point uai's who become quite warped after year 12. All they do in uni is study, study, study.

It's important to understand that marks like 65 are really good in uni. Besides, employees are more interested in your initiative and personality. If both are good, you're more likely to be a valuable member of the team. Those warped students don't have lives and a lot find themselves without any job offers. They have the brains and the know-how, but lack innovative skills, personality and leadership skills.

It's important not to push yourselves too much. Year 12 is the best year of your life and unfortunately, most people realise this only after they've finished the HSC and they realise they could've had more fun than they allowed themselves to have. So close your textbook for a while and do something fun!

Just James

Veteran Member
HSC
xxPanDa said:
i've always told my friends
"theres always next yr :) "
Actually, no there isn't always next year. First year uni is the most demanding year of uni. There is a lot of work and there isn't much time to have fun until the mid year and end of year breaks. So enjoy the freedom you have while it lasts.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
hmm lol i wouldnt really give a shit about that IF i get into uni. just a quick note, do people who go to schools below the top 300 usually get into uni? or is it just the top100 schools?
how many ppl make it into uni each year?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
there around 60000 students sittng the hsc
i think only 30% go onto uni

xxPanDa

HSC
Just James said:
Actually, no there isn't always next year. First year uni is the most demanding year of uni. There is a lot of work and there isn't much time to have fun until the mid year and end of year breaks. So enjoy the freedom you have while it lasts.
i was imply to repeat yr 12, and try again
not go to uni...

Beetle

HSC
xxPanDa

Geez. paNDA just try ur hardest and youll do fine.. i wouldnt advise to go repeat yr 12, as youll just have more stress. My advice is go to TAFE and do something you enjoy, and get a transfer into UNI. Much more fun and safer option.

=)

CLASS OF 2006 THE HSC IS APPROACHING. HOW EXCITING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Intelligence

HSC
wow are you up to the end of ya life lol
im still standing looking into the "undergrowth" wondering if there is someone that would killl me there lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)