Do you trade shares? (1 Viewer)

ibbi00

HSC
Re: higher return than stockmarket?

haha good i have a TFN :]
whats the best way to get started? I'm genuinely interested in this :]
Here's a good start: https://www.sharetrading.netwealth.com.au/

EDIT: You can also start a virtual portfolio with Commsec. Probably even with Yahoo7 finance. Just add in a realistic number of shares according to a set budget and see how you go from there.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Btw which brokers do you guys use? I'm with Bell now, but was with Commsec previously.

Monstar

HSC

Commsec, I heard bell has one of the lowest charges?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Bell is cheapest but I hate their interface. Feels so difficult to trade and you have to pay a subscription fee to access "live" prices. C'mon what the heck?

Commsec offers T+3 settlement which was a great way to make money without any outlay... only thing was their brokerage was very high (I was paying around $80-120 each way for trades).

PilotMerp

HSC
I have accounts with both Etrade and Comsec

Im not that familar with comsec just use it for flat trades

But I use the research tools in etrade

Monstar

HSC
Quick question; I was speaking to a relatively senior commodities analyst at a research house and he seemed to bad mouth fortescue the quality of the iron ore they produce however they have about a return on equity of about 50% but this is blindsided by the sheer leverage of the company.

I tend to steer clear of resources stocks purely because there is so much dangling on the quality of the ore.. but if the analyst says that the iron ore is shit but at the same time they are able to generate huge returns and huge cashflow.. does it matter?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ Depends if you are buying for short term speculation or if you genuinely are doing your research and buying long. I don't really research or follow any particular data but I rely on my fundamental gut instincts and technical analysis to trade quickly and that's it.

Truth be told unless you're inside and know everything there is to know, you're playing with second hand smoke.

pete shearman

HSC
does anyone follow roger montgomery's blog at rogermontgomery.com?

if not, you should.

i picked up his tips on MCE, FGE and MLD last year and did very well. he follows the buffett approach of buying a slice of a solid company at a discount to its intrinsic value.

i also bought $1500 of EXS shares which are more speculative in nature. cost 0.515c each but will spike once mining deal is done with another company.

Monstar

HSC
I used to be a big fan of the roger but then I started to realise people like you just make the valuation a self fufilling prophecy..

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Looking to get into ASX trading simulations later this year. I've just been introducing myself to the utmost basics whilst reading a few motivational biographies (Warren Buffett 'sup) here and there.

I figure the things I learn whilst completing my Economics degree will help me in my quest to become a 'solid-returns, low-risk' investor.

Deathless

HSC
Does anyone want to form an Investment Club? We could go into comps or something if no wants to have a real mutual investment.

Deathless

HSC

Bell is cheapest but I hate their interface. Feels so difficult to trade and you have to pay a subscription fee to access "live" prices. C'mon what the heck?

Commsec offers T+3 settlement which was a great way to make money without any outlay... only thing was their brokerage was very high (I was paying around $80-120 each way for trades).
If you're only about 5k then try e-trade?

Garygaz

HSC
i'm not 100% sure about your theory on outlay seremify, i work at a discount broker and all transactions (regardless of whether you buy and then sell before settlement, or on the same day) get credited and debited as separate transactions, hence you will get fail fee + have to find some way to have funds to match the cost of your buy.

&yeah uni pretty useless when it comes to making money on market

sjp112

HSC
N/A
whats wrong with technical analysis? I always thought the technicals helped a fundamentals investor get in at the right prices?

Garygaz

HSC
see there's your problem with uni education. this is how the market works:

first of all you have day traders: from my personal experience these guys get themselves a margin lending account which pretty much multiplies the amount of money they would otherwise be outlaying by about 10x. So random, uneducated dude/lady puts through an order to buy $50,000 of RIO at market in the morning and sells them some time during the day. These people have no view on the market longer than a day and legit, I have had people ring me from the pokies at the rsl to put orders on. These people (the vast majority) are gamblers with a gamblers mentality.

secondly you have pensioners/self managed super funds who pretty much just try and pick a low and buy. rarely sell, buy the same stuff; banks, resources, retail in the 200.

then you have fund managers who are a mixed bag, mostly buying and selling at highs/lows (according to them) of the market. can't see any real pattern in what they do as of yet.

then you have professional (i use this word carefully) traders who have multiple positions open including covered calls, speculative puts etcetc based on some charting/tech analysis. stuff like butterfly spreads don't really get used in a real market.

Garygaz

HSC
learn to trade as in what? how and where to buy/sell shares or learning about options and other financial instruments?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)