Do you use prepared English essays? (1 Viewer)

Do you use prepared English Essays?

• Yes

Votes: 89 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 56 38.6%

• Total voters

dolbinau

HSC
Do you use prepared English essays?

My definition is an almost word-for-word recount with small changes.

danz90

HSC
nah i don't really memorise my essays. i just have a set, particular structure in my head with quotes/lang. that i use for each module.

in the exam i tweak it a little to address the question

ppl who memorise essays and then in the exam get a totally different text such as interview etc would get stuck

haaychlovesdan

KIK ASS PREMIUM MEMBER
HSC
danz90 said:
nah i don't really memorise my essays. i just have a set, particular structure in my head with quotes/lang. that i use for each module.

ppl who memorise essays and then in the exam get a totally different text such as interview etc would get stuck
i agree. Memorizing an essay and not being able to remember it in the exam or it not fitting to the question would stuff me up and freak me out.
i stick to quotes and techniques.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
dolbinau said:
Do you use prepared English essays?

My definition is an almost word-for-word recount with small changes.
By my definition yes. By your definition no.

I pretty much memorise an essay, but then I dont wrtie it down word for word, I mould it to the specific question.

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
danz90 said:

na, not really, its hilariously easy to adapt prepared essays to other text types.

i did on prepared on thursday night, a speech form and i did it faster than my normal essay. :rofl:

Rfelt110191

HSC
I dont use prepared essays, I just have heaps and heaps of quotes with analysis and sometimes pretty words which i like and then i choose from there... Sometimes I wonder if whether i should use a prepared essay coz like every1 else i know does and they all do fine +++ i almost always nearly run out of time or dont finish coz it takes so long to formulate an arguement and choose from my options... it seems so much easier to just regurgitate :(:(

zxcvbee

HSC
N/A
i like have memorised 'paragraphs' if that makes sense

mynameisemma

HSC
I'm honestly so surprised at the number of people who memorise generic essays and then tweak them for the question. No-one at my school does (of course, we have about 10 people in the class) and our teacher kept telling us not to do that. I think you're probably safer just to know the texts and modules really well. But hey, if you reckon you can get away with a prepared one, it's your HSC.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I memorise my essays and go over additional examples- quotes, techniques etc just in case...and pretty much if it was a different text type, I can use just the examples in my essay and back up to suit it, whether it'd be an interview or a speech.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
KIND of.

I try to memorise quotes, and read over essays.

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
i don't believe people who say they don't memorise quotes and the techniques revolving around it, who the fuck walks in after just looking at a few quotes and forms it all while they're in there? talk about wasting valuble time

dolbinau

HSC
lolcal said:
i don't believe people who say they don't memorise quotes and the techniques revolving around it, who the fuck walks in after just looking at a few quotes and forms it all while they're in there? talk about wasting valuble time
Rephrase? Especially the second part? :S

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
"who the fuck walks in after just looking at a few quotes"

as in, who prepares for english by just looking at a few quotes and not rote memorising the techniques based around them and the idea you connect it to? such a waste of exam time if you have to do it in there

sparkerasp

HSC
I generally prepare quotes that remind me about what points I'm backing up. There is the rare occasion where I do memorise an essay or a piece of creative writing (like I did in section 1) because it just seems to stick to my head.

No. I prepare a general thesis statement and points/quotes to back up my argument.

Rampager

HSC
Haha, I memorise all my essays word-for-word. The trick is to end each paragraph with a technique and then right after a sentence ABOUT to explain that technique. It doesn't matter what the question is after that, you just slot it in saying that the "technique proves <question>" and you're off for a Band 6.

Worked for me in Half Yearlys, Trials, and it will work for me in the HSC unless the questions are mind-boggling complex. However, looking at all the past papers, nope, I can adapt my essays to everyone. Seriously, memorising your essay is the BEST way of doing it, you set yourself down for 35 minutes and write the whole thing, the extra 5 minutes is for formulating how you'll change the paragraphs + intro/conclusion.

They can't change the question so far that its out of bounds of what you memorised (unless you have no fucking clue to begin with) so this works pretty flawlessly.

boony3

HSC
Im in the process of memorising my essays now!
I dont even care what the question is I will still write what i memorised, as long as i get over 15 for each essay im happy :D

Rampager

HSC
boony3 said:
Im in the process of memorising my essays now!
I dont even care what the question is I will still write what i memorised, as long as i get over 15 for each essay im happy :D
This is also true, if your essay has decent analysis but it doesn't fit the question particularly well, you can still walk out with a low Band 5 because your analysis is still rock solid.

boony3

HSC
Well since im hopeless at english, my tutor wrote most of my essays so it better be 'rock solid'
only 3000 more words to learn, i better get back to it!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
lolcal said:
um..... lol :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)