Do you use prepared English essays? (1 Viewer)

Do you use prepared English Essays?

• Yes

Votes: 89 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 56 38.6%

• Total voters

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
nah you didn't do that, you looked at quotes and techniques!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
looked at, not really memorised :eek: and i don't connect them to any idea until i'm in the exam, after i've seen the question.

Last edited:

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
Maybe do it for the Journeys, but modules it is much better to remember structure / quotes / techniques.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
lolcal said:
i don't believe people who say they don't memorise quotes and the techniques revolving around it, who the fuck walks in after just looking at a few quotes and forms it all while they're in there? talk about wasting valuble time
...uh me? It's really not that hard. Just look at the question and write an essay. If you've read the texts, you should be able to support it with evidence...If you haven't read (or viewed) the text, then admittedly that makes it a little more difficult.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Kujah said:
I memorise my essays and go over additional examples- quotes, techniques etc just in case...and pretty much if it was a different text type, I can use just the examples in my essay and back up to suit it, whether it'd be an interview or a speech.
Yep, exactly. Sure, ideally, it would be better not to have to rely on memorised essays (granted, you'd have to have an incredible grasp of the english language), but the reality is that it's almost impossible to prepare yourself well enough not to use them.

As long as you make sure your generic essay is wide enough in scope, and that you have extra knowledge you can add depending on what they want to ask, you'll be fine.

PS: Please don't be cunts with the King Lear question, BOS.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
i am just wondering how many people actually go the full length and time everything like
example of what i mean
u write ur first paragraph 5 times and average the time
repeat this with rest of essay to get an average time it will take

also i got a lot of memorizing to do tomorrow

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Not in the sense I memorise the essay

I have chunks of generic paragraphs and generic techniques and effects memorised. I have strong intros and starting sentences for central paragraphs

And then I adapt it all specifically to the question in my head during the reading time, and BAM off I go.

This is particularly effective for BNW/BR and Frontline. Harwood, being the slut she is, requires a bit more basic memorisation ontop of that.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Rampager said:
This is also true, if your essay has decent analysis but it doesn't fit the question particularly well, you can still walk out with a low Band 5 because your analysis is still rock solid.
Nup

conics2008

HSC
I basically memorise introdcutions + key analysis....

everything else is done on the spot...

now you say intro << you cant really do it because u never know what the question is... yes u can.. because u need to give in a breif description of your stupid text(s) soo you write one that is really good and then adapt it to the question and then this is where you key analysis kicks in... by writing as much as key points with detail analysis.. all you ned to do is pick one two or three from the pool and link it to the question... and thre you goo...

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
I memorise my essays and I try moulding it to the question by changing thesis and topic sentences
I guess it was suppose to be easy for yesterday's journeys
But I didn't really think through it enough to achieve a personal best response =\

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
conics2008 said:
I basically memorise introdcutions + key analysis....

everything else is done on the spot...

now you say intro << you cant really do it because u never know what the question is... yes u can.. because u need to give in a breif description of your stupid text(s) soo you write one that is really good and then adapt it to the question and then this is where you key analysis kicks in... by writing as much as key points with detail analysis.. all you ned to do is pick one two or three from the pool and link it to the question... and thre you goo...
Intros that are basic and sum up the module are great confidence boosters for when you first start writing. Having something familiar is a great start

For example, my opening lines for BNW/BR are like
The concept of In The Wild refers to the natural processes undergone in the human physical, spirital and interpersonal experience
or something similar. And then you drag in your thesis based around the essay question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)