Do your marks in year 11 reflect your mark for year 12? (1 Viewer)

dabatman

HSC
N/A
So throughout the past two terms for year 11, my marks for 2 unit and 2 unit maths have been undermined due to pathetic mistakes that I make. I know how to answer questions, however, I always make mistakes. This lowers my rank and also my self - esteem. I'm currently wondering if this reflects my marks in year 12?

Any advice? I need some cheering up...

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Most of the time it will have some reflection in your year 12 marks through an indication of your effort and ability, but if it's got nothing to do with those two factors, and the reason why you are losing marks is due to silly mistakes and errors you might need to do more past paper questions while under exam conditions, to simulate the time pressure.

Some techniques you can use to reduce your errors are:
- to check over your work as many times as you can if you finish early (this means also looking at the questions which seem easy, because that is where a lot of people make silly errors)
- When a question says solve for x or whatever you can sub your solution back into the original equation and the left hand side should equal the right hand side of the equation (easy way to reduce errors with signs or missing out certain things)
- For factorising equations, you can use the same thing as above sub a random number like x=5 into the end and starting expressions and they should give you same answer, if not then u have done something wrong in your working
- With differentiation and integration most of the time you can do the reverse of what you have done to check it's correct
- When you have stationary points or inflexion points, check the value for the first and second derivatives is equal to 0 when u sub in ur x value you find.
- For other errors sometimes you can make like a mental checklist of things you have to do with certain questions like always including units when finding area or volume and multiplying by pi when finding volume under a curve and including a constant c during integrals without limits

You really just have to try and make sure you don't do them, or you pick up on them during ur checking, which you can only get better at through more practice

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)