does “failing” any subjects this year matter? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i’m taking 3u english, 3u maths, chem, bio and french continuers this year. french was kinda my filler subject because i knew i was gonna take chem and bio for the hsc and i was only going to do 10 units, and i chose it out of art, eco, geo and modern history because my dad told me to i guess (i had 0 preference what my 3rd subject would’ve been).

by the time i came back to school and actually got a taste of senior french, it was already too late to swap it for any subjects (i missed 5 weeks of term 1 because i was stuck overseas) so i just had to stick with it.

i’ve been losing more and more motivation to do class work, homework, study etc and the online learning environment isn’t helping at all either. we just got our half yearly notification for french too and i kinda just decided on the spot that i’m gonna fail it because i have lost all hope of doing well in this subject.

i’ve never felt this way about a subject before so i’m just gonna assume i’m at the point of no return lmao. i’m just concerned whether failing a subject in y11 that i’m definitely not taking in y12 is gonna affect anything? thanks

HSC
Nah it doesn't. Year 11 results of a subject you're dropping, do NOT affect any year 12 results (in theory). Just beware that it will likely worsen your relationship / standing with your teacher, because they can tell if you're not trying as hard. But it doesn't seem too bad for you, because french doesn't have much to do with your other subjects.

Also that's such a d|ck move by your school! I hope things turn out well for you in the end. As they say, it's just a passing downpour.
okay thank you! luckily all the languages teachers are very chill and i’m on good terms with the french teachers :)

yeah it’s kinda unfortunate. i understand but at the same time i don’t. they said i can’t switch subjects 5 weeks into the term because they’ll already have made too much progress and i’ll have too much trouble catching up, but like i’ll have to catch up in french either way?? but it’s alright haha i’ll just deal with the grief for a little bit

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
I just did, with Advanced English, I only got 6/20. It doesn't matter in the long run but yeah Beezwax is right, my teachers hate me so I dropped to standard and now I'm topping! You are lucky sticky rice with your teachers being on good terms as my English teacher was giving me the death stare (why the f*** are you in my classroom) by the first lesson. Can I siphon your English talent bro since you do three-unit you sound really smart? As well unlike me, it's just french? Like at least you don't have to keep it.

Good luck bro and use my experience as a highly potent depression cure drug. Also, you were handicapped a little by being stuck for the first five weeks of term 1.

HSC
I just did, with Advanced English, I only got 6/20. It doesn't matter in the long run but yeah Beezwax is right, my teachers hate me so I dropped to standard and now I'm topping! You are lucky sticky rice with your teachers being on good terms as my English teacher was giving me the death stare (why the f*** are you in my classroom) by the first lesson. Can I siphon your English talent bro since you do three-unit you sound really smart? As well unlike me, it's just french? Like at least you don't have to keep it.

Good luck bro and use my experience as a highly potent depression cure drug. Also, you were handicapped a little by being stuck for the first five weeks of term 1.
oh damn 6/20?? thats unfortunate 😳 it sucks when teachers hate you, there’s really nothing you can do lmao. and also noo it’s compulsory for us at our school to do 3 unit english in year 11 and they don’t offer standard english either so i only really have 2 choices (adv or adv+ext 1 because whoever does ext 2 is either a psychopath or a genius). if you need help tho definitely pm me i’ll try to be of assistance!

thank you haha

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Nah I can digest failing (parents scares me 1000x more than the sheer mark). but I did a x3 multiplier from going to standard from failure to first place 18/20 why didn't you do humanities or tech? Like IPT I do really well in since I am good using Adobe Apps, Microsoft Apps, etc it can easily be a unit filler or even an ATAR lifter if you know your stuff. Other guys do really well at coding. Just that English is not conventional really as it comes from your imagination and experience, hence I failed. It is not a "conventional" subject, you really can't study it,unlike maths where you need to remember important laws and apply them to various problems.

Do you go to a selective school since they force you to 3 unit English? My school isn't we have some people that even come from Girra and Gosford high and they are like Albert Einstein but these guys who aren't even capable of standard English so yeah the skill level is really diverse. Like standard English is really easy especially when my classmates just sleep. I just use dropping as a means "if you want a better mark/rank, just drop to a lower class".

Also, 'm young. I'm born in June 2004 and people in my grade are born in early 2003 like even January 2003 which is a quite disadvantage as I can get WAY stronger given a year. So I just think, they are old and still lackluster.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
what do you mean 02 line kids? and is it true that like everyone from your "school for geniuses" get like a 90 ATAR

HSC
Nah I can digest failing (parents scares me 1000x more than the sheer mark). but I did a x3 multiplier from going to standard from failure to first place 18/20 why didn't you do humanities or tech? Like IPT I do really well in since I am good using Adobe Apps, Microsoft Apps, etc it can easily be a unit filler or even an ATAR lifter if you know your stuff. Other guys do really well at coding. Just that English is not conventional really as it comes from your imagination and experience, hence I failed. It is not a "conventional" subject, you really can't study it,unlike maths where you need to remember important laws and apply them to various problems.

Do you go to a selective school since they force you to 3 unit English? My school isn't we have some people that even come from Girra and Gosford high and they are like Albert Einstein but these guys who aren't even capable of standard English so yeah the skill level is really diverse. Like standard English is really easy especially when my classmates just sleep. I just use dropping as a means "if you want a better mark/rank, just drop to a lower class".

Also, 'm young. I'm born in June 2004 and people in my grade are born in early 2003 like even January 2003 which is a quite disadvantage as I can get WAY stronger given a year. So I just think, they are old and still lackluster.
EXACTLY. SAME. i got 10/22 for my french listening and i was kinda like oh okay lol. but if my dad ever found out i got less than 50% for anything i'd get torn a new one. actually i did do ipt! i took an accelerated course from year 9-10, never listened in year 9 but started trying midway through year 10 and ended up with a raw mark of 93 for the hsc, so I'm relying on it just in case i fail chem or bio in year 12. i didn't do humanities because I'm just too dumb tbh, it's not my subject :/ i only considered modern history for year 11 because i did really well in year 10 but looking at the work my friends have to do for it, I'm glad i didn't do it. I've also noticed that a lot of the good English kids in my class are also good at humanities so ?

i 100% agree with the fact that English isn't very conventional. it's too open ended and subjective for me, there's never a right or wrong answer and that's not something my brain can handle lmao. i think in very black/white so it's why i prefer maths and the sciences because there's always a factual answer.

yes i go to a selective school :) everyone's really smart here so sometimes you end up feeling dumb but I've learnt that you have to get out of the mindset of comparing yourself to other people and realise that the environment you're in is just naturally academically gifted so of course there's going to be competition. i have to disagree with your dropping opinion though, on the surface it's true (easier subject = better ranks/marks) but for the hsc it's not the case.

HSC
is it true that like everyone from your "school for geniuses" get like a 90 ATAR
for our school if i remember correctly only 80% of year 12s get above 90

edit: actually I'm not sure but its somewhere in the 80-90% range of students who get above 90. they always tell us what % of students got above/below what atar and whatnot

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
sticky rice - 100% right with maths and science having a factual answer that's why some find it extremely difficult. I'm the reverse tho.
I'm the reverse... I'm like one of the smartest kids at my school, that's because they are knuckleheads.

Cool chatting with you 2... guess this the experience of "making friends by people who are smarter than you".

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Why are you scared of them? Shouldn't they be scared of you since you proved them wrong?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
I understand and respect your view. Oh yeah I hate when that happens.

Accurate

clix
HSC
lol not everyone who does 3u english in year 11 likes it. I was basically forced into 3u english even though I hate english until this day. (long story short, my top 20 selective high school didn't offer many choices for subjects that weren't higher scaling)

My first hsc advanced english task, weighted 25%, ended up with a trash mark of 50%. I kid you not. They won't let people take standard english. (Apparently standard english does NOT mean a reduction in work and stress needed...it just screws with your mark because of the weaker cohort) My next task weighted 25% got a 75% mark. At that point the school pretty much thought I was a dropkick. English has driven me to some extreme thoughts...I even considered dropping out of school and using other pathways into uni without taking the hsc. But I survived in the end. My parents were fortunate enough to get me a private tutor for english. Then my marks were 95% (take home task) and trial 85%. Of course my high school gave me a trash internal rank (actually all my internal ranks were worse than my real ability), but the mark wasn't bad at 86. In the end, I got 92 aligned mark in hsc for a total mark of 89. And a >98 atar. That's partly why my signature says 'I proved the haters - and my high school - wrong.'

(Also this is NOT all unicorn and rainbow vomit. I gave up my dreams so I could focus on maximising my atar)
this is why i hate english, i can't believe you got scaled down so bad just because the teacher disliked you ;(

HSC
aha they were all quite unrealistic. I'd rather not reveal them because I still occasionally get a bit overwhelmed from my decisions. Maybe when I have completely gotten over them.
I did 4u maths, advanced english, chemistry, and another subject which I won't reveal here because otherwise I WILL get sleuthed out by former high school classmates lol. At this stage I've already talked so much about my experiences that it probably will happen sooner or later...
I'm now studying data science and actuarial studies.
Ohh okay. at which uni?
also ur former classmates sound horrible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)