Does 2U count if you do 4U Maths? (1 Viewer)

madsam

God among men
HSC
The 2unit HSC and 4unit HSC external exams are on at the same time.

Try doing both and tell us how it goes.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well if you accelerate and have done 2unit one year and get a HSC mark for it and then the next year you take up MX2 and do it in the exam then the 2unit marks will not count since any normal person would be either doing 2unit exam only OR MX1 students will do the 2unit + MX1 exam OR MX2 students will be doing the MX1 and MX2 exams (notice MX2 students will not do the 2unit exam).

So if you are doing maths normal speed and you take up MX2 next year you won't even be doing the 2unit exam or going to any 2unit class. You will have 2units of MX1 and 2 units of MX2

lychnobity

HSC
So if you are doing maths normal speed and you take up MX2 next year you won't even be doing the 2unit exam or going to any 2unit class.
At normal speed, you go to the normal 2U class.

LordPc

HSC
So if you are doing maths normal speed and you take up MX2 next year you won't even be doing the 2unit exam or going to any 2unit class. You will have 2units of MX1 and 2 units of MX2
huh?

when you pick up MX2 it doesnt mean that you stop learning the 2u course, it just means you dont do the 2u exam

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My school doesn't do that. Since MX2 starts in year 12. In year 12 you would only go to the MX1 and MX2 classes and sit the respective papers.

The 2unit course would just be incorporated into the MX1 classes.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
You don't do 2 unit exams. However, to stress the fact that 2 unit maths IS part of 4 unit, many schools force you to do the 2 unit exams as well (sometimes only the first few). This is also partly in case you decide to drop 4 unit, your school will need a mark/rank for you in 2 unit.

4 unit maths is worth 2 units of your HSC
3 unit maths is worth 2 units of your HSC

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Oh. If you're doing 4U Maths next year, the HSC mark you receive this year will NOT count at all.
Lyounamu (another BoSer) came first in the state for 2U Maths when he accelerated, but he chose to do 4U Maths so that FIRST doesn't count. At all. Kind of a shame, really.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Oh. If you're doing 4U Maths next year, the HSC mark you receive this year will NOT count at all.
Lyounamu (another BoSer) came first in the state for 2U Maths when he accelerated, but he chose to do 4U Maths so that FIRST doesn't count. At all. Kind of a shame, really.
Yeah, that was a waste really.
I only got a low Band 6, so I don't really care about wasting my 2U mark.

Bacchus

HSC
Yeah, that namu guy is retarded. Well at least, he is doing what he likes.

K

khorne

Why is it retarded? The HSC is designed to challenge you, yet be adequate for your needs/level. He did what he thought was best for him, and succeeded, and I think no rank outweighs this.

Bacchus

HSC
Why is it retarded? The HSC is designed to challenge you, yet be adequate for your needs/level. He did what he thought was best for him, and succeeded, and I think no rank outweighs this.
Well yes and no.

Challenging you is one of the key learning criteria that HSC tries to incorporate. However, the core purpose of HSC is not necessarily to challenege you. It's basically about UAI and for other credential for further education purposes.

So the underlying theme of HSC is to maximise UAI. That's at least what I think even though I myself don't follow that.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I agree with Bacchus in that you should just be aiming to get a high UAI (by 'exploiting' HSC's scaling and not learning irrelevant stuff).
But I do think doing 4U was the right choice for him, since it gives him an extra unit for his best subject. Other year 12s didn't agree with this decision though :(

Well anyways, good luck

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Well yes and no.

Challenging you is one of the key learning criteria that HSC tries to incorporate. However, the core purpose of HSC is not necessarily to challenege you. It's basically about UAI and for other credential for further education purposes.

So the underlying theme of HSC is to maximise UAI. That's at least what I think even though I myself don't follow that.
\by doing 4unit maths if could well be maximising his UAI, especially since he's so good at it, he gets an extra unit and could still possibly get full marks for 3unit and 4unit and if not he'll do very well

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha, why are we talking about Namu now? :p

I guess it's a good example for the process though...

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
This is the most ridiculous rule in the HSC. If your 2unit mark doesn't count why even do 4u? Might as well come first in 2u and save yourself the stress, time and tuition (money).

Bacchus

HSC
This is the most ridiculous rule in the HSC. If your 2unit mark doesn't count why even do 4u? Might as well come first in 2u and save yourself the stress, time and tuition (money).
Well, it's not easy to come first in 2 Unit.

It's a relatively easy maths, I agree with that. But coming first ain't easy. It requires luck too.

To come first in 2 unit, you need to get 100% basically. And no matter how good you are, there is still a chance that you can make a mistake and simply forget about that.

Imagine getting 119/120 or even slightly lower in 2 unit maths. That should serve you around top 5-10 spot in the state for 2 unit maths. But that's NOT 100/100 scaled mark. More like 98-99s. And if you consider that, you will only have 3 unit of maths.

Now, look at the other way. You have 4 unit maths. That's 4 UNITS OF MATHS. Only one unit more than 3 unit BUT....if you are someone who doesn't have any extension subject or 1 unit subject apart from maths, that can save you the stress of going through another subject to make up for that 1 lost unit by not doing 4 unit.

And I am telling you, 4 unit scales awesome. In 4 unit maths, you can still make mistakes. But it's differnet to 2 unit maths. Losing one mark in 2 unit will cost you heaps generally. But it's little bit different for 4 unit. Since the gap between individual is SO significant that 1 mark hardly makes difference.

In terms of safety issue, IF YOU ARE GOOD AT MATHS, DO 4 unit maths. Don't take to run a risk of doing 2 unit maths SO THAT YOU CAN COME FIRST IN THE STATE.

If you don't come first or top 20 in the state, scaled mark is generally quite shit.

This year, 100 = 100 scaled but, 99 = 95-97 scaled and 98 = 94, you can picture it right?
compared with 4 unit maths, 90 = 91-92, 91 = 92-93 or whatever.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)