Does a relationship really require sex? (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
As the title says, does it? Makes me wonder... it appears that in a general relationship, it's all good in the beginning, etc... then it looks like it gets very boring and dull, and normally people are dieing for something new and fresh for fun... and then once they get over sex as well... where does that lead to? Breaking up, cause it's boring? :S...

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Well, are we talking platonic here? Because, if your talking about a couple, thats a different definition, because they're romantically linked. I think that it only happens circumstatially, such as if they are physically unable, whether it be impotency or someother handicap, or religiously, where celibacy is observed, or simply because the participants are to young or old.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes.

Sex is the cornerstone of a good relationship. You see your partner for lunch, sex on the table. You see your partner at a business meeting, sex in the boardroom. You see your partner at school, sex in the classroom.

:rofl:

Nah, i think (hope) that it doesnt hold that kind of importance when i meet a great girl.

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
sex does not have to be a cornerstone necessarily, depends on what foundations you have, for myself "love" doesnt mean "making love" ... :uhhuh:

pcwizz

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
But it solidifies your relationship, and it is also one of the truest ways of expressing how you feel about eachother. In fact, sex can describe any relationship, whatever it is based on, i.e, lust, its only about sex etc

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
pc_wizz said:
sex does not have to be a cornerstone necessarily, depends on what foundations you have, for myself "love" doesnt mean "making love" ... :uhhuh:

pcwizz
Notice the :rofl:

:D

HSC
I think it depends entirely on why a person enters into a relationship. If they do so expecting that as one of the things they want from the relationship, then I guess it does become a fundamental.

On the other hand, I think it's fairly easy to do without if it's not as high on the priorities scale, and a number of people genuinely do value the togetherness in senses other than the physical. In these instances, I think that sex is able to be removed from the relationship without any serious impact upon its stability or longevity.

In response to the sex getting boring and moving on thing, again I guess that depends on why you entered into the relationship in the first place. If you were after a quick fix or something less than permanent then I guess maybe the role of sex in the relationship again becomes more significant, whereas people commiting for the long haul are (often?) more interested in other things.

Afterall, if you're planning to stay with someone for a long time, there's only so much of it you can spend having sex, and things would get awfully boring if there was nothing else of interest going on :)

(Again, maybe other people see it differently, this is just what I think) :)

Acid

HSC
While I would be happy to wait a few weeks for sex when first meeting a girl, having been in a relationship where sex is regular I honestly don't think I could go without it indefinitely. A relationship may not require sex, but it'll definitely make it last longer.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Acid said:
While I would be happy to wait a few weeks for sex when first meeting a girl, having been in a relationship where sex is regular I honestly don't think I could go without it indefinitely. A relationship may not require sex, but it'll definitely make it last longer.
Agreed, and anyway, whats wrong with sex anyway? Its natural, people should want it anyway. I don't understand why this is a big issue.

MissGeorgie

i dont think a relationship NEEDS sex. it depends on the people, but its nice to take that next step....sex just makes it more intimate. people say that sex changes everything...sorry but thats a load of shite, if anything it makes things better, an i think u'll only get bored with the sex if u get bored with the person, not the other way around
:)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
yes.

rofl, i got a popup just then saying my message was to short *mutters*.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
haha

*Love.

Warning: May cause you to be jumped and summaringly ravished.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
err, I don't think that, short term, a relationship *needs* sex. However I do think it's very naive to say that it's easy peasy to live without sex. Sex is a natural urge, not just some whim

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
MissGeorgie said:
i dont think a relationship NEEDS sex. it depends on the people, but its nice to take that next step....sex just makes it more intimate. people say that sex changes everything...sorry but thats a load of shite, if anything it makes things better, an i think u'll only get bored with the sex if u get bored with the person, not the other way around
:)
I agree with that,
its not a need, but it makes the relationship more intimate

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
glycerine said:
err, I don't think that, short term, a relationship *needs* sex. However I do think it's very naive to say that it's easy peasy to live without sex. Sex is a natural urge, not just some whim
Exactly! short term it is easy to go without, but when long term comes, why would you not want to?

Id like to know some reasons to not have sex when your in a relationship, love eachother, and are within the law's age limit?

santaslayer

HSC
Yes, sex should be a part of love. Sex is the union of man and woman. :) Love does not exist if there is an absence of physical loving.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
a romantic relationship cannot go indefinatley without sex... its a natural act of expressing ones self and love for one another.

that being said, i don't think its absolutley necessary... it depends on the people. if both are of strict religious backgrounds then they may see sex as something which is a bonus within marriage as opposed to a necessity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)